Email server security

Discussion in 'Networks' started by sheepluv, Dec 15, 2010.

1. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Hi all

Anyone aware of what BIL1 (protect) compliance is?

I am in discussion with some other tech folks in a different organisation who refuse to use my mail server to send things too, but I maybe able to if it covers the above security certification.

thanks

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Never heard of it. Sure that acronym is correct? Besides - why would anyone refuse to send mail TO you?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Not heard of it either but I would imagine what they are talking about is some kind of assurance you will protect their mails from threats and prying eyes, keep your mail server secure etc etc. BIL 1 might be an internal standard they have created...... :S

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Never heard of this either. The acronym doesn't ring any bells.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

I am an educational establishment and they are the Local education authority.

They do the payroll payslips, and are now making them Email only.

I have my own internal email server with staff on but they are trying to get all staff to setup with their email and that is the reason behind it. Just another excuse for the school management to start using them for things instead of me, or considering them a 'secure' solution and undermining me if you know what i mean.

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So - let me get this straight... they run your payroll, and think that a safe and secure way to do this is... wait for it... via EMAIL?

Just glanced at my watch and you know what time it is? Ten past time for you to get a new payroll company.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Hmm my payroll is all online now via a 3rd party website
    I trust it a bit more than i would my own IT monkeys to keep it tight, and it gives us someone to sue if it isnt up to scratch
    it handles most of our HR systems, seems to work well for us
    it doesn't undermine anything, and making decisions for infrastructure and stuff based on trying to keep your job alive is a quick way to not have one :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

When I say undermine I am not trying to protect my job or anything like that. It just causes confusion for end-users ie. The management team.

It doesnt make any difference to me at the end of the day, but there has been no debates about this and the BIL1 stuff seemed to be their argument. Its their arrogant attitude towards me (the LEA) that sucks!

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Maybe they are using email encryption :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

You could argue that an email is unencrypted in transport (although my MTA does do TLS if available). However you cant really argue that because my server is on their perimeter network anyway so it doesnt go outside.
    Also surely sending pay packets by royal-mail isnt exactly secure! :blink
    No its more the case of `ours is the best way` which is not something new with them :rolleyes:

Found out more about this BIL stuff but im still not convinced, however I dont really care about it, it saves me the hassle.

Its more of a problem of where I work :(

Thanks for the input :)