Email address verification

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Sep 3, 2010.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Guys, I'm just looking for a little confirmation that I am interpreting this right.
    We just sent a mass mail with a press release and have some returns with error messages. I put the addresses into http://network-tools.com to do an email verification. This is one of them (see below) and it is typical of most that I have tried to verify. In the last few lines it states that the receipt of the admin emailis okay. Am I correct in thinking then that the email address is valid?

Thanks

Validation results

canonical address: <[email protected]>

MX records

preferenceexchangeIP address (if included)10cluster2.eu.messagelabs.com[0.0.0.0][B][FONT=Arial]20[/FONT][/B][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial]cluster2a.eu.messagelabs.com[/FONT][/B][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial][0.0.0.0][/FONT][/B][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial]30[/FONT][/B][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial]mail1.messagelabs.com[/FONT][/B][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial][0.0.0.0][/FONT][/B][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial]40[/FONT][/B][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial]mail4.messagelabs.com[/FONT][/B][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial][0.0.0.0][/FONT][/B][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][B][SIZE=2]SMTP session[/SIZE][/B] [/FONT][SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][Resolving cluster2.eu.messagelabs.com...][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][Contacting cluster2.eu.messagelabs.com [195.245.230.131]...][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][Connected][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]220 server-11.tower-78.messagelabs.com ESMTP[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]EHLO Network-Tools.com[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]250-server-11.tower-78.messagelabs.com[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]250-STARTTLS[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]250-PIPELINING[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]250 8BITMIME[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]VRFY firstname.lastname[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]252 send some mail, I'll try my best[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]RSET[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]250 flushed[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]EXPN firstname.lastname[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]MAIL FROM:<[email protected]>[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]250 OK[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]RCPT TO:<[email protected]>[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]250 OK[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=navy]QUIT[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]221 server-11.tower-78.messagelabs.com[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR=green][Connection closed][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi mate,

with things like this, it really depends on the setup.

for example, in this case their mx records are being screened at message labs. this may be set (more than likely) to black hole invalid addresses and not produce an ndr.

what message do you get back, which makes you think some of the intended recipients are not valid? message me if you want.

cheers.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Difficult to say, there may be a second spam filter after the message labs filter.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs