Electronic Document Management System

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Jun 15, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Does anyone use one of these and if so which one?

I'm looking for one to organise my documents at home so preferably it should be a freeware solution. :wink:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Oh aye, Nugg - your joke-books getting out of hand are they ? :lol:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Too right mate. I also need a tracking system too, to track who laughs and who doesn't. Isn't psychological profiling fun?? :lol:

But seriously I need a way to organise all the information I have and collect. How does everyone else organise themselves, just putting the similiar docs together in folders??

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes, thats the way I do it anyway. How else?

I've got to admit Nugget I have no idea what a "Electronic Document Management System" is and how it would work :scratch

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Si, the basic idea of it is to keep track of all your docs. Sort of like a PIM/database, you can organise your docs in different categories, define keywords for searching, maybe a preview of the doc etc.

The better ones also have calenders, appointments, contacts etc like Outlook but without the mail sending although some also hook into Outlook and can manage your mail too.

At the moment I'm playing around with an Idea

I was just wondering what other people used.

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Are we talking paper documents that you have scanned or general computer generated documents?

I remember reading about a similar package for use on a network for scanned paper docs. Once setup documents would be organised by date/keyword. you could set it to automaticaly archives data too which I thought was pretty good.

Do you have alot of data then Nugg or is it just more of a disorganised mess?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

All electronic data.
    I've got about 10 Gigs of disorganised mess to try and sort out, do backups AND keep track of it all. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Hmm i had one that catalogued drives (removable and fixed) with thier contents, to allow searching even when disks were unavailable, so u could work out what disks files and such were on, im not sure if it would work down to the document file, i think it might be though
    i cant remember what its called, when my desktop arrives ill let you know though!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0