Eid Mubarak

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mr.Cheeks, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

to all my brothers and sister here....

[​IMG]

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

From Wikipedia

Same to you Cheeks. :biggrin

Care to share with us non muslims more about Eid Mubarak and what it is all about?

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Thanks mate and to you. I'm not a muslim, however that does not mean that we can not celebrate with our brothers/sisters their beliefs :biggrin (just like Chrismas, Hanuka, etc).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Mr.Cheeks

SGUK...

Basically Eid Mubarak means what it states above...
    Anyhow, there are 2 Eids that we celebrate, 1, Eid ul Fitr and 2, Eid ulAdha

During the 9th month of the Islamic Calendar, Muslims throughout practise Fasting, (no eating, drinking, smoking etc during daytime light hours). This is for 30 days...

To mark the end of Ramadan (Fasting), we have a little celebration (little as in 1 day).... This is Eid ul Fitr

The second Eid that is noted is called Eid ul Adha, this is the start of a new year (Islamic) and this time its for 3 days...

5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Mr.Cheeks, and thanks for explaning eid for everyone :biggrin
    Eid for me was to sit in the office on friday as I only just started work that week for 1st line support. didnt even get time for morning eid prayers :cry:
    I did most of my fasting and happy with that :cheers

Hope Everyone enjoyed there celebrations :thumbleft

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, Channukah is a relatively minor holiday (no, it's not the "Jewish Christmas") and as far as I know, there's no specific greeting attached to it. The High Holy Days or Days of Awe have just finished and Rosh Hashanna (the New Year or literally, the "Head of the Year") does have a specific greeting: "Shana Tova" (Good Year). I didn't know there'd be enough interest, so I didn't post the greeting here.

Eid Mubarak, Mr. C. and L'shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem, which means May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

And Eid Mobarak to you too Mr Cheeks.

WIP: Exchange
  8. InspClouseau

InspClouseau Bit Poster

Only mubarak I heard was President Mubarak lol :)

The only Eid I believe as a Christain is non-violence and justice and forgiveness. Thats is the best eid you can give someone.:tune

Clouseau

Certifications: BSc (Hons) in Computing & Statistics
    WIP: A+
  9. Mr.Cheeks

meaning??? :blink

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Eid Mubarak to you mate :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. InspClouseau

InspClouseau Bit Poster

Mr Cheeeks

I am as Asian but Christian.

I find suicide bombing and killing despicble - Beslan, Madrid bombing, 9/11, 7/7 etc. I know Muslims are decent but its the tiny minority of Muslims - extremists - that give create havoc eg bombings, hate rantings, intolerance to non-muslims.

To leave a peaceful life is what people want. I don't accept racism and sometime West attitude to muslims is not religious but lack of cutural understanding.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) in Computing & Statistics
    WIP: A+
  12. Mr.Cheeks

dude, WTF! :dry

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, stop. I was afraid something like this would happen. InspClouseau, Mr Cheeks was imparting the forum with a traditional greeting for an Islamic holiday with no religious or political strings attached. In other words, it's as if you would say "Merry Christmas" sometime around December 25th. The proper response in your case would be "Merry Christmas to you too" or "Seasons Greetings" or even "thanks". If someone decided to bring up the crusades at that point, I imagine you'd be the one to say "WTF" (or an expression of a similar nature). Please restrain any comments regarding the issues you have mentioned as they aren't appropriate in this thread.

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I got a little srect...I'm Muslim...well I was until I was 20...I dont practice it anymore...where as my family do...and they were fasting during the month of Ramadan...My parents want me to go back to practicing...but I still am not ready...and I dont know if I ever will be...but Mr Cheeks...I didnt even know u were a Muslim too...so Eid Mubarak my brother. :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  15. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Once again, CF is proving to be a great place of knowledge. Thanks for the quick lessons there Mr Cheeks and SGUK. I will freely admit my knowledge of other religious practices isn't what it should be, so what you put there is very good to know.

That's what I like about this forum, you pick up little snippets of knowledge you didn't expect to get. I'm part of a bass playing forum too and seriously, all I've learnt from it is that a band from Kentuky had some ugly girl at the front headbanging, that's the calibre of posts :eek:

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Sounds like u need to get out more Cockles...:biggrin lol

17. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hah, tell me about it, maybe I'll head to the Kentucky gig and headbang with the uglies :biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

are your standards really that bad? lol

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

While you're in the "neighborhood", you could go to Tennessee and visit BosonMichael and Mitzs. :biggrin

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

:twogit :drummer :singer :git :rocks

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!