Effective Permissions Tool & Exam sims

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Modey, May 22, 2006.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You see before you a miffed Modey!

Was just having a couple of short 10 question sessions on the Measure Up Practice Test software (for 70-290).

So I get a question to do with NTFS & Share permissions, a group should be able to delete files & folders when working at the console of the fileserver, but shouldn't be able to when accessing the fileserver via a network share. What's the best way to determine if the share permissions are overriding the NTFS permissions of one folder in particular?

Two of the answers were clearly wrong, so I instantly discounted them. One option was to use the Effective permissions tool and another was to have a user test out the folder via a network share.

Neither sounded good to me as I would test this personally if I had been the one to implent this particular security policy. Their 'correct' answer was to use the effective permissions tool as this tab shows the combined share & NTFS permissions for a user or group.

At this point I started swearing and shaking my fist at the screen (which seems to happen quite freqently when I review my answers :) ).

They even made reference to a MOC and provided a link etc as the source of their information.

Could someone please tell me I'm not imagining things? The effective permissions tool DOES NOT show combined share & NTFS permissions, it can only show an approximation of NTFS permissions for the user or group in question. This is MS's official line on Technet, and I have also seen this from other sources.

Grrr!!

Anyway, the reason I am really miffed is it meant I got 70% instead of 80% on the test which is their pass mark, and I wanted a pass dammit, even if it was only 10 questions!!!

Anyway, I have calmed down now, which was the reason for typing all the above, sorry if it's bored any still awake at this point. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

cant help you here mate, but i did enjoy your anger...

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You are of course quite right Modey. You link to the M$ site also links to THIS page as well. That clearly states that

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, I understand how frustrating it is to try and understand all this stuff.

How odd that the Effective Permissions Tool does not really show the effective permissions :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO this points up one of my biggest gripes with the training part of this industry - the number of errors in training docs/exams etc.

With some publishers I now have to double check stuff where I am dubious, simply because I have seen so many errors from them in the past!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. mjtibbs

mjtibbs Bit Poster

Thanks for that... I wanted clarification myself as to wether the effective permissions tool included share perms, which I now know that they dont ;)

-tibbz

Certifications: MCSA, OSCP, MCTS Config SharePoint 2007