ECH vs Security+

Discussion in 'Security+' started by aestudiar, May 10, 2010.

1. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

I just found out about the Certified Ethical Hacker, and wanted to ask: what do you guys think? Is it any good, apparently all the issues regarding law are on US laws. Which one is more recommended for entry level? How do CEH and Security+ compare?
    Cheers :D

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

They don't compare. To take the CEH you need to have been working in IT Security (specifically IT Security as well, not as a sys admin who dabbles in firewalls occasionally) for two years, or have relevant educational and work history that you can point to instead (you'll need to detail this in a submission that you have to make to the certifying body prior to being accepted onto the exam). You will also need to attend an accredited training course prior to the exam (cost around £1800-£220).

The Security+ is an entry-level cert, much like the A+ & Network+. It's still not for people with no experience, but can be studied by people with around a year or so's systems admin experience - which should include some security admin, but doesn;t have to be extensive.

HTH

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Thanks. So that leaves the ECH out of the way.
    Are Security+ and CISSP comparable? Do you really NEED the 2 year's experience for sitting the Security+? Would having both A+ and Network+ lower that figure(ie 12 months)?
    Cheers.

EDIT:
    I've checked the CISSP. Another out of the way. I suppose that means I'll aim for Security+. :)

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

ECH? CEH? Go for the Security+, you will enjoy it. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Ok, will do.
    Now for the typical question: 'any materials recommendations?' 8)

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For Security+, I recommend the Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide and, if an updated edition is available, the Syngress Security+ Study Guide.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!