ECDL

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Sep 12, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi folks, my uni course is due to start in 2 weeks which im looking forward to whoo hoo. Anyway ive recently found out the ill be able to get a European Computer Driving Licence, now ive seen them mentioned on this forum somewhere,but cant rememeber where. Could sombidy please fill me in on the pros and cons of having this??

Thanks
    Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If I remember correctly it takes you right back to basics.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It is indeed very basic. It consists of 7 exams:
    1: Basics such as 'what is a computer' and 'dont have trailing wires'
    2: Simple use of Windows
    3: Word
    4: Excel
    5: Access
    6: Powerpoint
    7: IE and OE

IMHO it is pointless if you are going for a more advanced cert. I went for it because I got asked about it so often, and I thought it would give me a good overall start to some of the M$ Office apps I've never used.

I'd be surprised if you were given the ECDL without doing the exams though.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The ECDL is a user qualification, unlike the A+, MCP, etc which are professional qualifications.

If I were you, go for it. You'd be surprised once you get into the IT support field (if you're not at the moment) the amount of questions you'll get asking how do you do that in Word, Excel, etc....

And besides it's another bit of paper to put on your CV :D

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Last night a colleague and I were struggling to put together a Word document for work and I was talking about doing something like this. The problem is, I don't use any office app enough that I'll pick it up as I go along, but when I do want to do something, especially in Excel, I don't know where to start. I was thinking about putting a couple of MOSs into my training timetable but maybe the ECDL would be a better option. I didn't realise it was "Office specific", I always assumed it was just "this is how you turn a PC on".

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It trys hard not to be Office specific, talking about 'a wordprocessor' and 'a spreadsheet' and the like.
    But for some mysterious reason the actual apps used are Office!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

That's kind of like A+ being "vendor neutral" but talking almost exclusively about Windows.:blink

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

Hi - I did the ECDL, back in the dark ages of last year, just to while away a few hours. (memo to self: Get a life!!) Is there an exam? If so, I didn't bother with it. I've had some experience of Office over the years and, consequently, found little of any real use in the ECDL, other than some keyboard shortcuts which I've forgotten now anyway. It's the same old story, use it or lose it :biggrin . ECDL is very basic stuff. As an introduction for a newbie, fine, it helps to build confidence in basic Office/computer skills. As a serious qualification - not much use. It's a great pity because the ECDL is peddled/marketed by some training providers/Jobcentres as a useful qualification in the job market. My 'significant other' is involved with professional development at the local Uni and part of her remit from time to time is to interview prospective clerical staff. Prospective hopefuls wave their ECDL qualification in the belief that this will open the career door for them because this is what they have been led to believe. The reality is that many schoolchildren are taught IT skills to a far higher level than the ECDL. I've seen primary schoolchildren working with databases at a level that makes me :oops: . The computer skills that some of these kids have are amazing, and not just in Office type programmes. I'm not saying that people shouldn't do the ECDL, just that it isn't the 'golden key' to the door of opportunity. Just my opinion.
    zx - If you are starting at Uni, and your Office type skills are minimal, then go for it. It will no doubt help with those essays :biggrin . I can see it now - Impressive Word documents, supported by charts, graphs, databases, and spreadsheets, all presented in a Powerpoint presentation. Forget Uni, send me the money instead and I'll give you a 2.1 with Honours:p Regards.

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST
  9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

BobT

Yes there is an exam one for each topic then you get a nice wee cert. from the British Computer Society.

It is a good basic qualification as many employers are asking for it and lots of Unis are offering it.

Good luck with the degree! Almost 2/3 of the way thru my OU one now. ;)

10. bloomfieldliam

bloomfieldliam Bit Poster

I did my ECDL back when you read from pamphlets and saved your tests on floppies to be marked, whats been said is right, it's very basic, the majority still don't know what it is exactly and it can cost £120 to take all the exams or it was when I done it.

Liam

Certifications: A+, MCP XP, MA in IT, ECDL
  11. willo22

willo22 Bit Poster

Hi am doing the ecdl level 3 advanced and am wanting to progress and do more, After the level 3 is complete can you please tell me if there is any more training after the level 3 advanced is complete

thanks ...

Certifications: ecdl level 1 & ecdl level 2
    WIP: ecdl level 3 advanced & mcdst
  12. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Willo, haven't you asked similar in another thread?

13. willo22

willo22 Bit Poster

hi yes i asked a question like this

i asked a question regarding another course i am doing :biggrin

Certifications: ecdl level 1 & ecdl level 2
    WIP: ecdl level 3 advanced & mcdst