ECDL, where to study?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by wes, Jun 24, 2004.

1. wes

wes New Member

I would like to gain this qualification, and am wondering where its best to study it from?
    I`d prefer online and/or book and cd rom learning really.

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

One of the best books I found when I was teaching this subject was the books by Angela Bessant. I personally found the online stuff from LearnDirect too dry and boring and the CD Rom stuff the same.

Heres a list of the books from Angela Bessant, there are a number of them for the different versions of office. (LINK)

HTH :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

I agree with Si - we use the 3rd book down on that list. However the syllabus has just been updated so I would recommend that if you purchase a textbook you go for one of the top two as they are for version 4 of the syllabus.

The Learndirect materials have been updated also to reflect the new objectives and are better than the previous ones. You can sign up for the entire course which is called The Desktop Tutor or you can take a single module at a time.

All the centres in your local area should offer this course so it is worth contacting them and finding out how they deliver it, whether they use online or paper-based exams and whether you can take just the exams with them.

In Derbyshire the ECDL ranges from £50 exam fee to £350 for the course to be taught so always best to shop around - it is a popular course so you may even manage to get it free. Expect to pay £25 registration and around £5-10 per exam (7 in total).

If you have any pre-knowledge of using a PC then you would be better to study yourself via a textbook to keep costs down as the books go right from scratch anyway - hey and of course you have all of us to help you if you get stuck! :wink: However, you may prefer to study in a centre so like I say - I would advise you to contact your local centres.

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  4. wes

wes New Member

i`ll look for a book to study from.
    the centre where i`m doing my CIW is an accredited ECDL exam centre, so i should be able to do it there.
    i suppose an ecdl using office xp would be best?

I`ve got knowledge of most of the office packages except spreadsheeting which i`m sh*te at, and only really need the ecdl to help me get employment, as my certificates in word etc are from learn direct and not really recognised by employers.

Thanks guys. :D

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Cheapest way I think to do an ECDL is through your local college. I did it as part of my degree but most colleges offer it pretty cheap. If you have experience with Microsft Office applications then its really easy to pass and I would honestly suggest playing on each application for an hour then just doing the exam (thats what I did and I passed easily and I'm no brain box). If not then maybe a book as suggested would be best. It still took me 7 weeks to pass as the teacher would only let me do one exam a week...:x

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011