Ebay stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Mar 8, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ok ive just upgraded my phone , from a nokia 6300 to a nokia n81 which has the 8 gig memory on it and can play some pretty good games for a phone. Anyway i decide i prefer the old phone as its just the right size and wieght etc so i decide to stick my N81 on ebay.

Last year i sold my wii on ebay with no problems, 7 day listing and bang it was gone. I got a prompt service and was very happy indeed. Ive listed this phone for the second time and for some reason im gettting offers for silly amounts, the last one was 818GBP which we know the N81 isnt worth that. I out it on for 175 as a starter price. Also im getting mails from these so called people that they would lie me to post it to somewhere in nigeria where they would also pay over the odds.

Heres the best bit they want me to send them the phone then they would pay me etc, as i must of been born yesterday. Anyway ive tried to contact ebay, but no luck and ive troed their frequent questions page but i was wondering if im being targeted for a reason. Is the phone price too much??? Could my account be getting spammed.

Im only asking as there was a trick that i fgell for from my space, you woul suddently be asked for your user name and password for no reason, it was only after i kept sending peaolple loads of mail that i realised what had happened.

Anyone got any ideas

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I wouldnt worry about it...to be honest I think it only happens with mobile phones...cos I once put up a mobile phone to sell for a mate of mine and I got something similar...only happened the once tho but I just laughed it off and deleted the email...but if it persists then yeah I would get in touch with ebay and let them know...but like I said i think it only happens with mobiles...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I've just had a quick look on Google, here's an Ebay article about mobile phone scams, and here's a thread about it from elsewhere.

Edit: just added Nigeria to the search, here's Ebay forums on similar scams, and here's some advice.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

i bvelive you have to either end the listing or wait for it to end then go though the shite of opening a dispute ect....

have fun

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I had a similar thing happen to me mate. There is an option in your settings to stop anyone bidding in countries you wont post to. Just turn that on and it will stop all the foreign scammers bothering you.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not if they hijack an account based in the Uk it won't. My mate put his PSP up on there a while back and had the same thing happen to him - he ticked the 'will only post to the UK' option but then someone used the 'buy it now' option and asked him to ship it to Nigeria where he was 'on business' (UK ebay account hijacked). The worst thing about it is that it took him nearly a week to get the listing fees refunded

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Thats fair enough Zeb, but the method i mentioned will stop most of the crap that gets through.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers for the advice people, ive relisted and made sure not to accept bid from outside the uk so hopefully it will get siold this time

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680