earliest audio recording

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dales, Mar 31, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

"taken from the beebs website"

More here!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7318180.stm

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. neilmowforth

neilmowforth Bit Poster

Seems a bit dodge to me. It was recorded by a lantern's showdow on wax paper, or something along those lines.

Certifications: MCSA
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

really!? hmm well perhaps the beeb are a day early, little scoundrals! I like stuff like that its sorta spooky!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. neilmowforth

neilmowforth Bit Poster

Have you seen the very first video recordings? They were made in the 19th century too. Very spooky!

5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No dont think I have yet perhaps a quick youtube is in order later

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

more than a day early - article was posted 28th march. i read it before the weekend.

Doubt its a dodge really. And it was created:

Hardly a 'shadow'. wiki

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes i spotted that wiki a little while ago, pretty interesting stuff.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I read about this last week. It's the real deal, but not in the way you think. Some researchers at the University of California at Berkeley found a way to listen to the recordings. While this recording represents the earliest, valid method of recording the human voice, there was no way to play back the recording until now. That's why Edison's recording invention is still so significant...he developed a method of recording and playing back the sound.

Still, facinating stuff, though. BTW...don't knock *how* the recording was made...it may be low tech and even "strange" tech by our standards, but it had never been accomplished before. Think of how inventive a person had to be to even imagine recording sound in that manner.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. neilmowforth

neilmowforth Bit Poster

Sorry!

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I wasn't being critical of your comments. Sorry if it came off that way. I know it *seems* dodgy when you first hear about it, but it's just important to put the technology in perspective. We are somewhat "spoilt" here in the early 21st century. These guys were working in the 1860s. It's amazing they accomplished what they did.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. neilmowforth

neilmowforth Bit Poster

I heard the report on the radio while driving... so I wasn't really paying much attention. I just heard something about a oil lamp and then failed to picture how that could work.

12. sayad

sayad Banned

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Umm... how 'bout reading the first sentence in the article in the link? :rolleyes:

You also might want to know... I'm not sure the forum admins will appreciate the spam links in your post...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

already been reported mate. I called bullsh*t last night

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present