EA wants open gaming platform

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 19, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7052420.stm

I think this is a good idea, epecially because it should create a faster turn around on game development and evreyone can get a copy instead of having to wait untill a game appears on their particular console.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Good? yeah probably. Likely to happen? Thats a negative. Too much money to be made in getting people to buy into your brand.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I agree...i mean i dont think this will catch on...at least not anytime too soon. as for me...i am happy getting my games on PC...since I dont play consoles...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yyyyeah... all that'll mean is an increase in the number of poorly developed, weak-UI, dumbed-down, last-gen-looking console ports for the PC. :thumbdwn

No thanks. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

This is actually the best point. what drives quality games development and the push games technology is the element of competition. Plus the idea of a 'single platform' or anything close to such a concept will lead to stale content that could lead to the downfall of the games industry.

Right now, the industry is lead by the demands of the consumer (a greater variety of games over a number of platforms), suggesting that one all-emcompassing platform is infact a pipe dream. Ask the average gamer about platforms and they will either always own more than one, or wish they owned more than one. This is for a variety of reasons: games available on the platform and the technology driving the games available on that platform.

I'm stopping now.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. BosonMichael

Yep... there's a reason I don't buy console ports. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

I think there already working on cross platform games, like unreal tournament 3... players on a 360 can compete against players on a ps3... i carnt find my source where i read this, could be years in the making like the bbc report suggests...

I think its a great idea... but im not sure each console manufacture will agree do you??:dry

Take fifa 08 for example, what difference would it be playing someone on a 360 or ps3 apart from the controller being used to play? I carn't wait then ill be able to beat some ps3 noobs :p

J

Certifications: A+, N+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I wouldn't buy fifa anyway its been crap since 97, pro evo for me, but the last pro evo was pants aswell.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Fergal1982

This is already the case with Shadowrun. Cross-Platform gaming:

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/shadowrun/news.html?sid=6167440&mode=all&page=2&cpage=2

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  10. BosonMichael

Translation: We've dumbed down the controls in Windows so that PC users won't have so much of an advantange. We've also ensured that users with top-of-the-line PC graphic cards can't take full advantage of their hardware... even though we require they purchase Windows Vista for graphics that look 2 generations (or more) old.

Yeah, I'll pass. :dry

11. Fergal1982

I didnt say it was good, just that it existed

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It is interesting to see how it would turn out though. I mean it might not be the best ever, but we never know.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Gotta love this guy!

Got it down to a T

Certifications: A+, N+
  14. BosonMichael

Yeah, I know... not frustrated with you... just frustrated with the sorry state of games that are ported from console. If game developers don't think there's a noticeable difference in a game ported from console and a game developed from scratch... then they've lost touch with the PC gaming market.

15. Mathematix

Go easy on us, mate! :blink We do realise that the average gamer is smart enough to notice a ported game. It all comes down to the budget allowed when a game is ported, and this can be a great deal of money, usually not less than half of the original budget to create the game in the first place! It must also be remembered that when a game is ported to any platform it must go through cetification and QA in just the same way as a new game is. Also the time allowed to port is normally months, where a game from scratch is allowed years to be developed.

16. BosonMichael

Mmm.... that makes sense... half the budget... and far less than half the sales due to the PC gamers abandoning weak console ported games. :blink Wait... the math's gone wrong here somewhere...

EA's sports titles are a prime example of this... cut corners here and there, and kill features that work great on a PC... and suddenly they find themselves with their latest titles getting a 5/10 in the review mags.

Sorry, I'm all about quality. If you're going to do something, do it right. Why bother, if you're not going to put the effort into it to do it right? (Not meaning YOU, specifically, Math... "you", meaning the game dev companies...)

17. Mathematix

Yeah, i know you didn't mean 'personally me'. :p

The games industry is like any other business, where 'doing it right' means doing something in a way that earns the most revenue. Unfortunately the purists are in the minority on that score, hence the consistent sales.

18. BosonMichael

But that's the point... EA's sports titles are losing PC customers in droves... especially when I can get a more-functional game with their OLDER titles that are in the bargain bin.

19. Mathematix

Within the last nine-odd months, I attended an EA presentation on the tech that they are going to use in 'next year's' sports titles, meaning the ones that are currently out. Alas, there appears to be no such new tech in their games.

Once sales are significantly low, I'd expect to see something new on the horizon.

20. BosonMichael

That's the point... there's no new tech offered... and some features have even been REMOVED that they used to have... coincidentally, those features that don't exist in the console versions. They slap some new "eye candy" on there, and think that's enough to sell a game.

Meh.