E-Learning

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

What are your views on e-learning... I mean it's all good and that to have 24/7 access to your study material (except when the site is down), but i think that having a *physical* book is much more easier to read than on a screen. Plus working on computers all day, i doesn't get trying on my eyes...

Would it be a good combination to read two different books on the same material, 1 online and the other "offline"?

Whilst i'm at it, has anyone heard of Skill Soft? ...how you do rate their material, or what have you heard of them?

Comments appreciated - Cheers

2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

"My" company uses e-learning with excellent results. We do have a passing score above 90%. There are several content providers on the market and the quality ranges from outstanding to screaming poor. The biggest problem with e-learning is that it (is/can be) very costly to keep up with the real world. When the material is delivered on CD and MS releases a new product in the line and also a update on the running product, where would you invest in? Would you invest in less popular products (as MOM)?

Taking two different resourses, no matter if these are books, classes or video's, is always a good thing. You'll see the matter explained a second time (repetition) and in a different way.

Reading from screen or from a book is the same for me. My eyes will shut down in ten minutes with both:biggrin .
    Seriously, its the same for me. I even read books on my PDA.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

To be honest, with broadband speeds now it is difficult to distinguish between CD-ROM stuff and online e-learning.

I've used some great e-learning stuff in the past - a mix of instuctor presentation, notes, exercises and virtual labs which can simulate setups which you would find hard to recreate even in a classroom.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. malik06

malik06 Nibble Poster

I'm shopping around for some e-learning materials myself for Network+ that incorporate everything you've mentioned. What company would you recommend?

Certifications: Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Actually, I'm a fan of the Microsoft online stuff at the moment.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

We have Skillsoft available to employees at work.

I find the client a bit flaky, and you have to check *very* carefuly whether the material you want to access is current or not.

Having said that - it was very useful as an alternative method of revising when I was doing my A+ and N+.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I tend to find e-learning to be too slow for me unless it's just plain old text, like you'll find in a book, that I can burn through at my own speed. Voice is too slow. Presentations are too slow. Give me something I can mentally consume. Then, if I need a more thorough explanation, I can go dig for it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I tend to prefer e-learning over a classroom as I can go at my own pace without worrying about looking stupid.

I prefer it over reading books as it tends to be a little bit more interactive.

9. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)