Dynamic Update Difference?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Ally, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Could some1 please explain the difference of these two options in english for me. It relates to dns records being updated or registered by the DHCP service (DNS tab of DHCP).

(1) Dynamically update DNS A + PTR records only if requested by the DHCP clients

(2) Dynamically update DNS + PTR records for DHCP clients that do not request updates (I.e. windows NT 4.0 clients)

To me these both seem to be saying the same thing but obviously they are not :oops:
    I understand that option 2 will only update clients that cannot register or update their own records such as 98 + NT 4.0 but what exactly is option 1 doing then??? :blink

Thanks

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If this option is unckecked then the DCHP server will automatically update the PTR (IP Address) Record with the DNS Server, the client sends its hostname (A) record to the DNS server itself.

You will only need to enable option 2 if you have older os's or linux clients.

EDIT: Don't think that I've really answered this very well! :blink

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Option 1 is asking you this question...

Would you like to keep your DNS records up to date automatically regardless of whether the client is configured, in it's TCP/IP advanced properties > DNS tab check box to *register this connection in DNS* or do you want the client to have control over this?

If you tick the check box on the DHCP server it will update the records only if the check box I mentioned above is also ticked.

if you clear the check box on the DHCP server it will hand control back to the clients setting

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Bluerinse's explanation is much better than mine! :biggrin

5. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies, another point cleared up!! No worries simon, at least u knew the answer lol :)

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  6. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I might be repeating what's already been said in different words, but basically, Only Windows 2k, 2k3 or XP OSs support dynamic DNS updating.

If you have a Windows 2000 Native or Windows 2003 domain functional level, then you don't need to check the "only if requested by DHCP" box.

PTR records in Reverse lookup zones are updated for compatible clients by the DHCP server.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)