DVD RAM Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Its probably me, but i've noticed that more and more pc's and lappies are being pushed out with DVD RAM drives... only realised this last night, when i had one lapie to be sorted... (Now wasn't that a Kerfuffle :blink ).

I read info on RAM drives on Wiki, to try and get more of an understanding of it, and would appreciate some answers to a few points i have made.

The main points i noted were:

More like hdd's (the way the disk has been made) ???

can write to FAT 32 format and UDF

Finalisation not need - done by hardware

Disc defect management verification built in (am i right in assuming that it's built into the Hardware itself?)

So why are they pushing DVD RAM drives out?

Do you have to by DVD-RAM writeables? or are they compatible with DVD+/-R's?

Can i see use the disc's as a coaster?

Cheers... :rolleyes:

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Most new DVD writers support all types of writeable DVD. However, I believe there are some types of DVD-RAM that are in a cartridge kind of like a big minidisc. Most just look like a normal DVD though. Beyond that I don't know anything about them, never seen one and don't know anyone that's ever used them. They are re-writable though.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

AFAIK DVD RAM was a Tosh thing - was this a Tosh laptop?

Check the spec carefully - I would expect it to be able to handle the usual + and - formats as well as RAM. But the disks are *not* the same.

Early RAM drives used a caddy, which made them expensive. I believe the later versions dispensed with that.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive got a few cartridge RAMS, and they can be opened and removed for standard writers.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive got a Panasonic Recorder, to replace me video recorder and that uses RAM. Not sure if Toshiba are part of them tho.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Harry - Yes it was a Tosh - dont know the model number, as i have given it back.

7. RolfcriesOK

RolfcriesOK New Member

Hi,

I have new HP DVD940i Writer which handles DVD-RAM discs, I use the RAM discs on my Panasonic DVD recorder to record TV and movies, you can use RAM disc to edit, delete and re-write quite simply. I then place RAM disc in HP DVD940i Writer to save contents quickly on a large capacity Hard Drive for future reference or further editing, the only trouble is my HP DVD 940i will not allow the disc to eject sometimes, only happens with RAM discs. Also RAM discs seem to be slow in performance in the HP DVD940i.

I see newer writers are offering RAM disc capabilities, must be a new push on DVD-RAM PR.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am also seeing a lot of DVD RAM disks as they are cheap now and being used in a lot of new systems. The one I am looking at as I type is an LG.

The ones I have tried are capable of burning / reading all types od CD's and DVDs. So I haven't actually tried a DVD RAM disk as I don't have any.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If they work as well as CD-RWs did, I'll be sticking to large flash memory drives.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!