DVD player problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jun 10, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry I've been away for so long but I'm unbelievably busy. Anyway...quick question. Our DVD player was working fine up until 2 days ago. Now, whenever we put in a DVD, we get the "loading" message but nothing loads. The message just keeps going and going and going...

We've tried different DVDs but with the same result. Anyone out there have a clue to what the problem and solution are? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends on the unit, and how old it is, and how often used.

My experience is that they die through wear and similar fairly quickly.

I have got through 3 of them in just a few years.

Fortunately they are very cheap to replace - although getting units with component output seems to be getting harder.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

clean your laser... or a couple of dollars at Walmart,

4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I'm having a simular problem with a Plextor DVD burner. Suddenly, it will not read DVD's anymore. CD's are ok, just not DVD's. I guick check of the blinks it's giving indicate (according to Plextor) that I need to return the device for repair. Given the price of DVD burners lately it'll probably be cheaper (in the long run) for me to just buy a new one.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Do you hear the laser mechanism wirring away? Or does it just display 'loading' but you can't hear anything moving inside?

If there's some noise, could be a laser prob, if no noise it might be a motor issue.

The tray motor on mine has just gone. Time for an upgrade.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You might want to try and clean the rubber drive belts, they can start to slip and so the mechanism won't reach the desired speed. Just wipe them with a cloth dipped in IPA.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)