Dust anyone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bagedntaged, Nov 29, 2007.

1. bagedntaged

bagedntaged Bit Poster

Got handed a pc to repair the otherday with the problem that it would run for 10 15 mins then shut down. So upon further investigation i came to the conclusion that it was overheating, and rapidly at that. So my next course of action was to strip it open and have a look inside the case, and low and behold the thing was clogged and i mean clogged with dust. after taking everything out and giving it a thorogh clean it worked perfectly.

just wondering how often people come across the fact that it's dust that is causing the problem and nothing else, cause for me it accounts for about 15 to 20 percent.

Certifications: hnd cans
    WIP: bsc computer/network support
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I found an old pc a few months back at the recycling centre near me.

The ram was missing and the cpu pins were bent, but the amount of dust inside you could actually hold in your hand like it was a lump of sand.

The person who had it probably thought it was knackered so thats why they dumped it, I salvaged the hard drive and disposed of it properly.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

yeah, seen this a few times at work.

They sit the computers on the floor and that just pulls the dust straight in from the carpet. I have had 3 PC's where the PSUs have failed and when u open em up - cobwebs. 2 of the PCs were working again after buying and fitting new PSUs and a general clean out. However, the third PSU took out the mobo wen it went so that pc is now for spares.

Suggested a number of things in the past to try and make things better and more reliable at work but they all take too much time and effort to implement and the boss aint interested. Even something as simple as cleaning the comps out every 6 months or so is frowned upon so I just go with the flow :x

When a computer does go tits up the first thing is "do u mind having a look at it and how long will it take". Mind you, messing with the computers is batter than working so I don't mind

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

I try to clean our computers at work out on a regular basis, I have notes stuck on each one of the date that it was last cleaned out. It is amazing how much dust builds up in them in a few months, a quick blow out with compressed air has them as good as new though. A lot of people just don't think of that sort of thing though.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've seen it a couple of times in my last place as some of the pc's being used were about 7-10 years old...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

i hate it when people dont look after their computers. I remember ages ago...I cleaned out someone's PC who was so clogged with dust it had turned to mould...yuk!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

as long as your getting paid for it, it should not matter, at the end of the day, do you really think they are *brave* enough to open a comp up and just blow it out?

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would be more worried about a user putting a vacuum in the PC and toasting it with the static build up.

Blast the PC with some compressed air and then take the money and run. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs