Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Nelix, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Ok, I know i'm going to get ripped apart for this.....but....

When you run the ping command and you get the results there is a figure relating to the time it took, shown in milli seconds (ms).

now when i ping google it is 100 ms, when i ping cert forums i get 25 ms

these are only average figures but which is the better figure.

It's just that, I dont know weather its the laptop or not but, When browsing this site it seems to be very slow compared to the main comp

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

The lower the figure the better, though I don't know why the site would appear slower on one machine than another.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Given the different machine issue, try using a tracert command instead. Of course you get a better value in pinging CertForum than Google is a matter of distance between you and the destination. You're closer to CertForum. I'd expect a tracert command to reflect this, too. Try using tracert to the same destination from both the laptop and the PC. There shouldn't be much of a difference though routes change due to bandwidth availability and other factors that effect the metrics.

If it's just a matter of how fast a webpage downloads, that could be an effect of processor speed and amount of RAM on board. The speed in ms that an echo packet takes shouldn't be impacted by this though.

Edit: It's several hours later. Earlier, after I made the above comments, I tried pinging from my laptop. I couldn't ping the internet, even though I was connected because of the nature of my proxy program. I have to configure each port number for each utility and application. Right now, it's only configured for html and ftp and it won't pass icmp echo packets.

I just did a ping of both google and certforums from one of my PCs. I got slightly different response times in ms for each echo but the average for my ping to Google was 250 ms while for CertForums was 370. Natch, I'm a lot closer to Google.

I did a tracert on both next and was a bit surprise to discover that it's 18 hops to Google and 19 hops to CertForum (although quite a number of London addresses popped up when I did the latter). I guess I expected there to be a bigger difference.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I'm not using a proxy server, thats something for the future, otherwise thats where i would have looked, will try a tracert tonight when i get home.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346