Duel booting Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dubfire, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Looking at duel booting Windows 7 or XP on my Mac, Has anyone done this, any problems, or has anyone duel booted any Windows OS?

The main reason for this is to run Virtual PC so I can set up a virtual network to aid my study work. I would be looking at installing a DC running 2003, and a Member server also running 2003, a client (Windows 7 or XP) and Exchange 2007.

I do have two servers and a switch from work but I have no space to set them up, plus the other half cracks the whip and yells to clear that mess up!

Anyway, my Mac has 4 GB of Ram and has around 150GB left in the drive with a 2.4Ghz Processor. Will this be adequate to handle the load of the install?

Cheers,

Mark8)

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Have a look at this, hope it helps

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_on_mac.asp

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  3. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

I do this on a macbook pro 13".

Its a 2.26ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD.
    Dual booted with W7 which I have given a 50GB partition too.
    I've then got my virtual test lab machines stored on a 160GB external portable hard drive. I've done it this way because I can then just bring the hard drive to work at work on the lab here with my work PC rather than having to bring my laptop.

WIP: 70-680
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I'm dual-booting a black Macbook with 4GB RAM, 2.4GHz Core II Duo processor with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Everything runs fine, and the spec of your macbook pro is fine. As jamin100 says though, I'd look at storing the virtual machines on an external hard drive, so that you can carry the VMs around, and give yourself space for snapshots, extra VMs etc.

Also, if you don't want to dual boot, you could try Virtual Box on Mac OS, which is free and runs on Windows or Mac (and linux).

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

is it possible to remove the O/S and just have windows on it ? - with full functionality;
    osd for volume and any shortcut buttons etc ?
    Was thinking windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE