dual booting

Discussion in 'Software' started by farmer, Nov 28, 2005.

1. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

a quik question thats probably been asked before

how do i go about setting up a dual boot system I.E. windows ME and windows 2000

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think this may answer your question.

All I did was to google your question to gain an answer. It's much easier than me explaining it!

Hope it helps!

8)

3. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

There are a few ways that you can dual boot:

1. Create numerous partitions on your hard drive and use a different partition for each OS that you want to use, in your case Windows 2000 and Windows ME.

2. Install multiple OS’s on one partition. In your case install Windows 2000 in the default folder which will be WINNT. Once that install has finished pop the Windows ME cd in and boot from that. Install the OS in the default folder which I believe is Windows and you should now have a dual boot system.

If you haven’t done it before I would suggest going with option one. I haven’t gone into a great deal of detail, just wanted to give you a general idea of what would be required. :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

intall the older OS first :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

cheers lads its just an idea ihave at the moment thanks again for the comments

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I can understand why you may want to dual boot but for the life of me I cannot understand why you would want ME to boot at all. ME was one of Microsoft's worst practical jokes, ever!

Windows 2000 on the other hand is the best operating system Microsoft have ever released. So, the two are chalk and cheese, one really good, the other really bad.

If you must dual boot, do it with something cool like Windows 2000 and Ubuntu. You will learn a bit and be enlightened as to what the open source market has to offer.

Oh and duel booting on a single partition is not recommended practice although it has worked for me, it can cause issues.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)