dual booting

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by nigel123, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice article, Trip - cheers.

Only thing was they only referred to Knoppix, I didn't see any reference to Kloppix [​IMG] Is that a distro for horses, perhaps ?[​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Maybe I misspelled it...ya think? :oops:

Smarty pants Armadillo. Your day will come. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nigel123

nigel123 Bit Poster

hi guys,

thanks for the help, installed the susu linux, did i spell that right. anyway did have problems though, it look ok but after booting a few times it started up and before it went into linux it kept asking me for my user name and pass word which i put in but to did'nt want to know. well i got rid of it and installed windows 98 on my second h/d. got windows xo on the first h/d. i did this as i have games which will not run on windows xp or crash. well everything seems ok. i think i might try another version of linux when ican more blank discs. you where right about the susu version of linux because i tried to get the drivers from intel for the graphics card as the resoultion was not good only to find out the drivers intel had was for the version you had to bry. sticking with windows at the moment. will try linux when i can get the money to get more blank dics. thanks for all the help.

4. nigel123

nigel123 Bit Poster

sorry about the spelling, need to go back to school lol.

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

nigel no offense mate but a blank disc is under 50 pence
    :P

i recommend trying SLAX too
    its marvelous!

do a search ;)
    and it fits on a mini CD (which are actually more expensive than standard CDs lol)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't know how good it is, but I found a distro at Distro Watch that will load entirely into and run from RAM. Click here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Bringing this thread back from the past ...

Finally I have a bit of time to do this, so I want to dual-boot with XP Pro, and Redhat 8.0. My PC has 2 hard drives, but most of my Apps, Data, backups, etc are on partitions on the second drive.

Just wondering, did we get a definitive answer (if so, I probably read right past it) about dual-booting both OS, in particular on separate partitions on the same hard drive ?

I've spent the afternoon reading about this on Google, but any first-hand experience would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance ...

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

your best bet would be to use a linux boot loader like Grub for this rather than the default windows one, as windows seems to manage things a tad better

grub or lilo, id go with grub personally
    you can use diff partitions on the same drive thats fine, just be careful wehn installing linux nto to click a button that says 'oh yes, please use all my hard disk and format everything else from existance'

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for that Ryan - that confirms what I was planning to do (btw, did you mean Linux handles boot-loading a tad better than Windows ? :oops: )

My only other concern is that after gaining some invaluable advice from AJ, is that the Linux install may bugger my MBR if I choose to remove it later. Oh well, at least I have my back-ups fully up to date, and stored on a remote machine...

OK, tonight could be the night. Cometh the hour, cometh the man (with the Redhat on..)

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Install went lovely, and Grub seems to be handling my boot options without any hassles.

I only have to sort out some hardware detection stuff, and I should be fully up and running in no time. If that goes according to plan, then I am going to be SOOO converted to Linux....:rolleyes::hhhmmm

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Jak, it will bugger up the MBR but there are ways around this minor annoyance.[​IMG]

Welcome to the dark side.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, my back-ups are in place, so if it all goes horribly wrong, I'll have the whole system back in an hour :D

The dark side looks kinda nice 8)

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

ok a boot loader is something loaded into the motherboards MBR that fires up when the disk is firs accessed

in windows its ntldr which accesses boot.ini for ints info

in linux and unix we have a choice of grub or lilo
    im using lilo at the moment, but grub is a tad better

they use /boot/grub/grub.conf
    or /boot/lilo/lilo.conf usually

the boot loaders are better at handling passing back over to windows than say ntldr is at passing over to linux
    but its more down to preference really
    you can use whaty ou like :)