dual booting question

Discussion in 'Software' started by steve_p1981, Nov 15, 2010.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

Hi guys, i currently have vista (i believe the premium version) on my laptop and i'm wanting to shrink and partition my HDD so that i can load windows XP onto it and use that with my vmware to set up a virtual network for practice as this will be easier for my system to cope with. I only have 2GB ram and crucial says i can't fit any more :-( my question is: i want to create a dual boot on my laptop but i have been told that i can't do this if i install an ealier version of an OS to the one that's already on it and i'd have to completely wipe my computer and install XP first then re install vista. Is this correct?

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Yes, the textbooks say you have the install the oldest OS first, then move on up in the order of their release dates.
    However, it can be done by manually editing the BCD bootloader (just google around, you'll find tutorials) yourself.

Can't you use VMware or VirtualPC to host your XP install? If it's just for testing purposes, 128 or 256 MB should be more than enough.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i was thinking of doing it this way to begin with but wasn't sure how slow it would run on my laptop. i shall give that a go. might still partition the drive and install linux or something just so i can have a play around with doing it on a real pc rather than a virtual one. also i had a virtual pc running an evaluation of windows 7 a couple of months back but it didn't seem to want to read anything from my usb drives, is this normal?

4. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

Welcome to CF Steve,

I too have issues with USB in my vmware install.

I have a dual-boot HP pavillion running 7 and Vista.
    I have XP SP3 on VMware on the Vista host.

Does not answer your main question I realise, just so you know your not alone!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

glad it's not just me. i can get it to read from the cd drive but don't realy want to have to put everything onto a cd to get stuff to load onto it (like files and stuff). I'm going to have a look at it friday if i can get a free / cheap copy of xp sp2/3 by then and if i don't have my guitar back from the repairers. I really want to learn this virtual networking thing cos i've heard that's the way it's moving now