Dual Boot unplesantness!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dales, Jul 10, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi All,

I've got a bit of an issue that I would like some advice on. My main pc has a IDE hard drive in it which historically had xp home on it so was the boot and sys drive. about a year and a bit ago I put vista on a newly aquired sata drive so the machine dual booted.

Its been working great until my ide drive went pop and seeing as I no longer have a sys or boot partition the vista setup cannot see vista on my sata drive. I dont want to replace the ide drive as this will give me a good excuse to replace it with and nice and big sata drive. is there anyway of specifying that the sata drive now has the boot and sys partitions. I've gone through the start up repair wizard, it finds the problem but never actually fixes it. I suppose I could just reinstall vista which wouldnt be too much of a problem but if theres an easier way I would love to be enlightened!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Having just put Vista Business on a second drive so I can start to play around with it you have got me searching !

From what I've found it would seem to be that you need to play with BCDedit as there is no Recovery Console as in Xp.

There was a refernce to it here from an MVP :

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_boot_manager.htm

and after a bit of Googling I dug up this from Technet :

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...c349-427c-b035-c2719d4af7781033.mspx?mfr=true

Hope there's something there that hepls and if I come across anything more useful I'll add another post ! :blink

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

boot from your Vista DVD.
    choose correct language and keyboard layout options,
    you will then be asked if you want to reinstall Vista or repair your installation.
    choose repair.
    it should then be possible to repair the startup.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT
    WIP: Server+
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Well fixed it so thought I'd report back just in case its useful to someone.

After abit of thinking I used gparted to make the sata disk as a boot disk then after a few go's with the startup repair wizard it was working lovely again.

Now off to find another drive to compliment this one and to install the scsi card for my tape drive:biggrin

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing