DSMOVE

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by kevicho, Nov 27, 2008.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

For those of you who are new to dsmove (Ive used it once before) I hope to save you a painfully frustrating lesson (when it comes to moving inside sub OU's as the study material focuses on main OU's)

The first thing I will say is make sure you spell everything correctly, as a typo meant I wasted 10 mins looking up an issue which doesnt exist lol

Secondly I was moving a user called Joe Bloggs in the contoso.com domain (how original), from a sub OU called Users in an OU called East, to a sub OU users in a OU called West.

The syntax is below

dsmove "CN=Joe Bloggs,OU=Users,OU=East,DC=contoso,DC=com" -newparent OU=Users,OU=West,DC=contoso,DC=com

Note that the OUs are listed in the heirarchy of which the user will be added, then working upwards towards the main OU (I hope you understand what I mean by that).

To illustrate the command below doesnt work.

dsmove "CN=Joe Bloggs,OU=East,OU=Users,DC=contoso,DC=com" -newparent OU=West,OU=Users,DC=contoso,DC=com

Im posting this here as I couldnt find anything on the net and im hoping to save someone some frustration.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Yes, I spotted that one too. I tell my student to say "which is in" for the comma.
    The first part would then sound like:
    Move joe blogs which is in the ou users which is in the ou east which is in the domain contoso which is in the (tld) domain com.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP