DSLR recommendations

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by nugget, Apr 24, 2010.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi all, just wanted to pick your brains about cameras. I'm looking at getting a DSLR but I have no clue as to what is good and what is good for a beginner/amateur/family type of photographer.

I've kind of narrowed it down (by way of price) to these two as I have heard that Canon seems to be the best and the EOS line is very good.

Canon EOS 1000D, 10MPix, 18-55mm KIT (499 Sfr)

Canon EOS 500D, DSLR, 15MPixel, EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit (852 Sfr)

Just wondering what anyone would recommend for me.

Thanks

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I don't know much about DSLR's myself but my gf does photography for a living.
    She strongly advises everyone not to listen to anyone's advice and go to the shop and play with Canons and Nikons themselves before purchase.

Both are great cameras but everyone has his own preference and feel comfortable with one and not the other.

edit:
    For example she uses Nikon D300 and totally can't get on with EOS. Her friend has bought EOS recently and can't get on with it too while she enjoys working using my gf's Nikon (she's a photographer too).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Whoever told you Canons are the best was full of ****e
    Canon and Nikon are the leaders, and they have the lenses to back it up (in the SLR land, the Lens is king, not the camera)

Most peoples decision is purley down to a) if they have lenses already that fit a specific brand, or have access to lenses through friends or clubs of a certain brand and b) how they like the body itself

now some modern DSLRs can do full frame as well which adds some complication into the fold as full frame is very nice for landscape folks

I'd follow the above suggestion and go play with the things, the interfaces, etc
    the Lens is what makes a DSLR, so don't think spending the most you can on a 'body' is what its all about, I have lenses that cost more than both my bodies combined :)
    and the kits generally come with ****E lenses, so factor in the cost of a decent lens or something :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What Luke & Phoenix said really. There is such a raft of choice available now (at almost every price point) that it can be pretty bewildering. As mentioned though, you can't go wrong between Nikon & Canon really. I'm in the Nikon camp myself though. This could help you decide though. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_H8TOKcfjg

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

All I'm going to say is that I love my Nikon D300, remember though that when you buy into a DSLR, you're also buying into that manufacturers lenses. A good lens can cost between £500 up to a good few thousand.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291