DSL connection issues

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by orangepeeleo, Apr 4, 2010.

1. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Hi,

My wifes elderly auntie is having trouble with her internet connection, she obviously has no idea in the slightest what type of connection she has or has any clue when it stopped working, went round to have a look at it anyways and plugged a spare phone in the telephone socket that her modem (a BT/AOL DSL modem i believe, forgot to right the serial numbers and product codes down to check, schoolboy, i've only just passed my A+!) was plugged into and there was no dial tone from that connection, checked the phone on another line and it was fine.

Seems like i diagnosed it too quickly though and kinda second guessing myself, also, don't really have any experience of changing sockets and stuff, i think it's just been knocked or something so was thinking of just swapping it for a new socket, but how the hell do you go about doing this??

Cheers for any advice

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

If the phone socket is attached to the wall and has BT written on it then you need to call out BT to sort it.

But if you plugged in a phone via RJ11 into the ADSL data port of a phone line then I believe you'll get naff all from it!

We need more info on the phone socket/port on the wall i.e. is it split using a micro filter via one port or is it one of those BT sockets that have both data and voice ports.

Sorry that this isn't much help in sorting the problem.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

This really is a start from scratch thing.

First, unplug everything from the telephone system, thats telephones, FAX's and modems (inc microfilters).

Then in the main sockets, plug a microfilter in and your ADSL modem into that. When the modem has sorted itself out, plug your laptop/computer into it nd see if you get internet connection. If not then it has to be either your modem or the actual network connection. After this is you have another modem then try this to see if this is the fault.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you plugged the phone straight in to the socket on the wall and got no dial tone, that's a telecom provider issue. Unless the phone has intermittent problems as well but that seems unlikely.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. orangepeeleo

Hey, sorry i've left this for a while but i've been busy doing other stuff and kinda left this by the way-side, i decided to make a decent effort at fixing it yesterday though.

So far i have..... formatted and re-installed xp on her comp, she said there was nothing on there that she wanted to keep and there was a LOT of stuff on there, incl loads of different anti-virus and firewall programs that another 'IT guy' uncle had put on for her, i thought that this could poss be causing some conflicts and the system was amazingly slow so a format/re-install was never a bad idea anyways. I then set the comp back up next to her main (least i presume it is, its by the front door! lol) phone line, got on the phone to aol tech support and got the usernames and passwords from them, everything was up and running fine by the front door at the main line, so i moved it back into the original computer room where there is an extension in there, connected it all up again and no internet, the DSL light on the modem (BT Voyager 105) blinks like it can't connect and has a status of 'training' in the taskbar.

So i checked the line right back to the main line at the front door and seen that by the room-door there was a tear in the wire, the outer layer at least was trashed where the door had obv been shut on it, thinking this was probs the problem i went to focus, bought a new extension and connected it all up, still no DSL solid light!?!?!

I'm now stumped, it connects through some dsl filters with one line going into the extension connected to a box with a socket for dsl and phone, i phoned BT and was told that if the main line is fine, which it is, full connectivity from there, then they would not check extensions free of charge and i was advised to either try and change it myself or get a local electrician/comms guy to come and sort it.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be??

Cliff notes: It's a BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem, connecting through dsl filter boxes, it works through a line by the front door which i presume is the main house line but doesnt connect through an extension in a back room.

6. orangepeeleo

I plugged the phone into the main line to intially test the phone and it worked fine, then i plugged it into the extension which the computer connects through and it was a dead line down the phone with the DSL light blinking and not connecting on the modem.

I phoned BT and if there is a problem with the MAIN LINE, then it is an issue for them, but as the main line is fine and its a problem with an extension they would charge it as a regular job if they came out :(

7. orangepeeleo

Think i might have just solved this myself, but i am going to have to use paint to explain, wait out lol

8. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

That surely points to an issue between the main box and the extension. Can you trace the phone wire all the way? The problem must be in that cable or the connections on either end.

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  9. orangepeeleo

Ok, so am i right in saying that its not going to have an amazing signal because it is going through 2 filter boxes, 1 at the main line for the house and one coming off of the extension?? And if i removed the filter box coming off of the extension and changed it for a simple splitter type connector then i should get a decent signal?

Also, is this the right way to connect the extension, through the modem port on the main line filter box? Is there a better way of doing this and would this explain the lack of dial tone when a phone is connected to the extension, as it is actually connected through a modem port/cable and not a regular phone line?

Sorry if i'm being completely stupid but the way i see it, this has left the realm that i can deal with (computer works fine, i got it connected to the internet again, albeit through the main phone line) and moved into the realm of DIY with phone line extensions and the like, at which my skills pale in comparison to my IT skillz, or should this be something that an IT technician should be able to deal with??

Cheers

Attached Files:

10. orangepeeleo

Lol.... after all of this......i guess i could run a 10m stretch of RJ11 from the modem in the computer room and just wire it straight to the main line.... which currently has a complicated extension/filter box layout running from an RJ11 socket on a fiter box.... which could be used to just wire the modem straight into.... doh!

11. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

from that diagram you won't get a dial tone through the extension because the filter filters out the low frequency ranges that the phone signal is carried on- the frequencies you can hear. if you use a splitter in place of the first filter then you could get a dial tone on the extension. but you still need to have a filter on the main phone. If all you have plugged in is the modem at the extension do you get a sync light on the modem? Is there anything electrical that could be causing interference in the room that you can't get connectivity in? If you are far from the DSLAM then DSL can be very fickle

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  12. orangepeeleo

No, the DSL light on the modem just keeps blinking so its not connecting at all, which is why i thought going through 2 filter boxes could be the problem, i'm just going to pop into the local computer shop tomorrow and see if they can make me a 10m long length of RJ11 and just wire it straight into the main line's modem socket on the filter box, she's not using a phone in the computer room so really has no reason for an extension socket.