1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSADD Problem (Multiple Objects)

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 Exams' started by Rover977, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I am currently studying for 70-290 exam and have encountered a problem with DSADD USER and DSADD GROUP when trying to add multiple objects.

For example :-

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1>dsadd user
    "cn=tst1,ou=marketing,dc=contoso,dc=com"
    "cn=tst2,ou=marketing,dc=contoso,dc=com"
    ^Z
    dsadd failed:`cn=tst2,ou=marketing,dc=contoso,dc=com' is an unknown parameter.

Similarly the same error occurs when I enter :-

dsadd user "cn=tst1,ou=marketing,dc=contoso,dc=com" "cn=tst2,ou=marketing,dc=contoso,dc=com"

It seems only one object can be added at a time, but in the Help and Support documentation says otherwise :-

"If you do not supply a target object at the command prompt, the target object is obtained from standard input (stdin). Stdin data can be accepted from the keyboard, a redirected file, or as piped output from another command. To mark the end of stdin data from the keyboard or in a redirected file, use the end-of-file character (CTRL+Z). "

"If a value that you supply contains spaces, use quotation marks around the text (for example, "CN=Mike Danseglio,CN=Users,DC=Microsoft,DC=Com"). "

"If you supply multiple values for a parameter, use spaces to separate the values (for example, a list of distinguished names). "

This is also what it says in the Microsoft 70-290 cert study guide.

Anybody encountered this problem and found the cause of it ? I've seen a couple of people on searching Google who have encountered the same problem but as yet have seen no explanation for it - only suggestions to do it another way.

Many thanks for any help.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
    WIP: Maths
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This might help mate...

http://www.petri.co.il/create_users_for_testing_purposes.htm#2

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  3. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Thanks Sparky, this is a helpful resource. But I still wonder why the original command 'dsadd user' won't work with multiple objects, as described in the MS 70-290 cert guide and in W2K3 Help and Support. dsadd group has the same problem. Of course, as there are many other methods this is not a critical problem.

Cheers
    Ross

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
    WIP: Maths
  4. minson

minson New Member

I have the same problem.Why?

Certifications: CCNA,MCP
  5. minson

minson New Member

I had tested dsget and dsmod comand,which is ok.

6. ryanthelion84

ryanthelion84 Nibble Poster

you could just try dsadd user

this should then allow you to enter each DN followed by RETURN.

CTRL-Z-RETURN should submit the lot once all DNs are entered!

Certifications: 70-290, PRINCEII Practioner, ITIL V3F
    WIP: VMWare ESX VCP
  7. minson

minson New Member

Rover977 and me had done about "dsadd user",as follows you say,but result didn't so.you should try.