DS Command Question

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by craigie, Aug 8, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have just been learning about the DS Commands, and must say I can see the practicle uses of DSquery and DSadd.

Could someone explain to me why you would use the follwing?

DSmove rather than drag and drop an object into a new container

DSrm rather than Right Click and delete the object

DSmod rather than just Right Click > Properties and change appropriate item e.g. Logon Hours etc.

I think I must be missing something, but not sure exactly what :blink

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

If you wanted to make lots of changes to AD at once, or schedule changes to happen out of hours in the middle of the night you could write a batch file with your DS* commands and script the changes.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Exactly.

The command line stuff is useful in a corporate environment when you dont want to point and click for hours. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys, I knew I was missing something!

What Nightwalker said makes perfect sense, to make 100's or 1000's of AD changes at non peak times when Users are not logged in.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5