DRM and your computer's hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffreeloader, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

FFS, Noel - see below, from the first paragraph of the first link posted by Freddy in the first post of the thread. You read this far - not much to ask, m8 ....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

ok...sorry I asked...and I thought we were here to help each other out...but thanks anyway...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Software assurance for the business sector is actually often beneficial, the standard term for PC life expectancy is 4 years, often less, to buy a perpetual lisence for each system and then replace it is cost prohibititive, software assurance allows you to lease the software for a period, and gain access to upgrades during that time, the leasing if timed correctly works out beneficial for the company if many instances

there are also some MS licensing packages that come with perpetual licenses, but these again are more expensive, but still cheaper than thier retail counterparts, and easier on the license restrictions

Edit: nobody minds helping you noel, but you ask questions that have already been answered because its easier, which is lazy, if you have time to post on CF at work, you have more than enough time to google DRM, or click the link jak mentioned
    please keep arms, legs, and all toys, inside the pram!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You're missing the point. It's to get companies, and people, used to renting their licenses for short terms, and thus create constant revenue streams for software companies. For millenia when a person, or company, purchased something they owned it, and with software, the way it's marketed that isn't true. That's a huge psychological hurdle to overcome and MS has been taking this slowly, in small steps.

Never forget that MS's genius doesn't lie in their ability to write software, it lies in their ability to market their product.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

but freddy, business is business, if its more beneficial for my clients to use leased licenses, so be it, if perpetual is better in the long term, so be it

its a balance, and at the end of the day it doesnt matter, a software company will only support a product for so long anyway, thats even true for OSS, people dont want an unsupported product
    i dont think im missing the point mate, i think im seeing the benefit of both sides of the equation is all
    there is, and always will be, 0 benefit to a life long license if your only going to use the product for three years before replacing it, renting it works out cheaper, and includes all the latest version during your rental period

on a side note, consumer software is generally still perpetual at the end of the day

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, I'll say this and then shut up as I don't want to get into a long argument about this.

DRM, short term licenses, etc... are all related. It means that the software and hardware companies have the ability to control computers more than any person or company that owns said computers. Why? Because they can change anything they want the next year and you, or your company, must change the way you do business to accomodate your computer.

You don't have to upgrade open source to keep it working. You can get a programmer to make any changes you need if you don't want to upgrade because functionality changes. This is about the right to be self-determining, not at the mercy of some greedy corporation who has only their own self-interest at heart.

As I said, you've been missing the point. You have bought into the advertising, imo.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

As I said freddy, at the end of the day i'm here to service the needs of the business, I sit on the fence, i dont take sides, if there is a benefit for 'short term' leased software then there is a need, and that wont change, microsoft are catering to a market that is there, nothing more, people can dress it up however they want, if the market wasnt there, people wouldnt do it, if a policy they have conflicts with the need of a business, a business can totally move to different vendors products, as is evident with the recent openoffice malarky over in Mas

there is no lockin unless people limit themselves to the belief they are locked in
    changing the rules one year could cost them customers, and net them others, as i said, it balances out

as you say, we can aggree to disagree here, nuff said
    I will say one thing, missing YOUR point and missing THE point, are two seperate points :)

8. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hahaha! awesome!

yeah i feel the same, i don't buy cd's anymore but i do buy the tunes and burn them myself. btw, i think its 50 cent.....:tongue

interesting convo to be reading anyway,

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+