DRM and your computer's hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffreeloader, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Thought DRM was all about the software on your computer? Think again. Take a look at Intel's, and the rest of the hardware industry's vision of the future for your computer.

Think big brother is just around the corner? Heard of doublespeak before? Trusted computing for who? Not you and I as consumers. We won't have any say about what goes on in our computers. We won't even be able to install what we want.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

time to dust off that amiga cluster blueprint thats rotting on the shelves :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

that's kind of worrying. not the fact that copyright material use would be reported , im against piracy anyway, but the fact that open source would effectively be null and void, and any kind of hard/soft development HAS to conform to these standards. :eek:

im pretty sure i understood the second link as this but feel free to clear it up if i missed something folks.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

That was the way I read it too Moominboy, though I would prefer it if someone told me I was wrong. :(

Certifications: None :(
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

your AGAINST privacy?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

P-I-R-A-C-Y.

totally against invasion of privacy, remember one of my first threads here? microsoft super-spy? hate it with a vengeance.

but i don't agree with piracy, cos i know i'd be pissed if people were taking my work and not giving me my dues for it.

Certifications: ECDL
  7. ffreeloader

Is Gentoo piracy? Is Debian piracy? Is Firefox piracy? Is anything open source piracy?

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

LOL my bad moomin, i clearly need glasses :P
    im all for piracy though, well, while the RIAA think they can charge me 15 quid for a CD give the artist 50 pence, and then tell me all i actually bought is a license and not a copy of the music ;)

9. ffreeloader

This is what the software industry, with Microsoft at their lead, has been doing for years and very few people complain. In fact, many people will defend MS's way of doing business.

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I must be very thick today but can someone please tell me what DRM stands for? I would read the links but I am at work and rather busy...thanks guys sorry about this...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

you wont get any argument from me freddy :)
    although im alot more inclined to license software that will be replaced in 3 years than a song i could enjoy forever

its a wierd toss up, either way things like DRM and the DMCA when used to stifle consumers is a bad thing!

12. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

What is built can be and probably will be broken.

Saying that, i wont be buying into that anytime soon.

Neall

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

the mind boggles, what next? :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. ffreeloader

The problem with this is that a lot of software is now being sold with a 1 year license now. A couple of years ago it was rare to find software with a license that didn't last forever, now it's the minority, not the majority, of cases to find software licensed for perpetuity. The industry trend is definitely to toward rent-a-license for your software. And that is no different than a DRM that can change at the whim of whoever controls the rights.

All this stuff is coming in small steps, because if 5 years ago the entire software industry had said, OK, from now on your software licenses will last for 1 year and one year only, there would have been such a commotion that the politicians would have been investigating it. Now, it's, Oh, well.

A frog can be happily cooked to death if you just raise the water temperature 1 degree at a time. The change in so gradual he never notices. That's what has gone on here. We've been told in the advertising schemes we were buying copies of software when in fact we've only been buying licenses for a long time. Now the next step is upon us and it's the hardware that's going to enforce what the software monopolies create. We've been cooked and we don't even know it.

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Not sure "happily" may be the most suitable adjective here Freddy, but the analogy is good all the same :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. ffreeloader

Well, since a frog can be cooked to death, and all the while be swimming around with no sense of danger, I think "happily" is a suitable adjective.

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

microsoft retail licenses are still perpetual, probably explains there hefty costs!
    atleast that applies for windows and office

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

OK, Freddy, tempting as it is to discuss it further, I shan't hijack your thread. Back to your point :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

erm guys dont mean to be a burden...but no one has answered my question...if anyone can please explain what DRM (not the whole shebang just what the letters stand for) that will be greatly appreciated...thanks and sorry to butt in...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  20. ffreeloader

What do you think the "Software Assurance" program is all about? I see it as nothing more than getting people used to paying for licenses for a short period of time. Microsoft, if not for howls of their customers, would long ago have gone to short term licenses.