drives not recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wassup, May 13, 2007.

1. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

hi,
    at work we just got a new HP ML150 G3 server with two 80GB SATA drives and when I try to install W2k3 on it, it says there are no hdd installed.

on boot , the controller shows the two drives in their slots, I have changed them around between the six slots for sata drives it has, and every time, on boot, the controller correctly locates the two of them.
    however when I get to the press "enter" to continue installation screen, it says there are no hdd installed, press F3 to restart.

any ideas?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you get a HP pre-installation disk? This will configure the disks for you and what type of RAID you want to configure.

Is there a SATA RAID controller in the server?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

well there is a bootable CD with the Insight Manager, but it doesn't have any disk config options on it

not 100% sure on this, there is a drive controller but haven't seen any RAID options

I am in the process of also configuring another HP server, a ML350 G5, and that does have the pre-install disk set with RAID support, although I didnt have to use them when I started the w2k3 server install on that, just plugged in the 2nd HDD and it booted fine first time, this 150g3 however is appearing to be entirely different...?

4. Sparky

The reason I asked about the pre-install disk is that you get them with Dell servers and they make life much easier when building the server.

It looks like you may need a SATA driver then. Can you download it and put it on a floppy disk? When installing Windows you will get the option to use a 3rd party driver (press F6) and it should take the driver from the disk and then you will be able to install the OS.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

yeah, 'cept it doesn't have a floppy drive :eek: :rolleyes:

the Intel® SATA AHCI Controller Driver does appear, and that is the one that recognises both drives as actually being there.

The BIOS is set to Auto and I'm rather confused

6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Can it be read from a USB flash drive?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  7. Sparky

8. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

i would do, but there is no power or ide cable to attach a floppy drive with, they are all cd/dvd type connectors

i will look into the usb option but it seems just to ask for the "A drive"

9. Sparky

10. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

thanks for your help here Sparky

I spoke to HP today and they said I should use a usb floppy and F6 it from there.

The smartstart software doesnt work with the 100 series, apparently... that is what I used with the ml350 last week...

still i'll bookmark that link too ,, tyvm again :)

11. Sparky

Glad all is sorted now mate :thumbleft