drivers needed for DVD-RWs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Nov 11, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok im just about ready to take the plunge and reinstall Vista on my machine (not the gaming one)...

It seems the darn thing will not auto install the drivers for both my DVD-RWs...funny thing is...it already knows that one of them was being used before...

I have a Pioneer DVR-112D and a Samsung SH-S162L...both are IDE as I removed one that was SATA and was causing issues to the machine...I have since put the Pioneer down to Slave and put the Samsung to Master (Pioneer was originally Master)...

Now, everytime I boot into Windows its asking for me to install the drivers for them both...and not only those but also my keyboard and mouse (both USB!!) and a USB IR remote receiver that I bought to use with Media Centre on Vista. I have tried Windows Update and that doesnt help...using the firmware updates wont do anything either...

Now since its an OEM copy of Vista Ultimate x64...I know what ur all gonna say but I wanted confirmation first...I am guessing I will need to reinstall Vista to get this machine to recognise the hardware since it thinks they are new and first installs...right?

Man, such is life being a computer builder :biggrin

Thanks all in advance

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Sorry, Noel, but I just can't help myself.

What I like about Linux is that it "just works". You don't have to fight to get your system to recognize and install basic plug-and-play hardware such as the keyboard and mouse, cd/dvd drives, etc.... Hopefully one of these days you Windows guys will get that type of support out of MS when the Windows OS matures.... :twisted:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, if you download the drivers and browse to the driver when prompted does Windows prompt again for the driver after a reboot?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Don't do it! It's a trap!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Frankly, I wouldn't "upgrade" to Vista until Microsoft includes full driver support. That's why you can still buy laptops and desktops with XP. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

but thats just it...I have been onto the websites (Samsung and Pioneer) and done that...and its still asking for them to be installed after a reboot...

I mean the keyboard and mouse were both put in a few weeks ago and it installed them fine first time without any hassle...I dont understand why its behaving like this now...why one minute install them and the next it doesnt want to?

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Or...it could be the fact that its sodding 64 bit Vista...as I am sure 32 bit wouldnt have this hassle...think im gonna have to go back to 32 bit...and I was just starting to like 64bit Vista...

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Noelg24,

What I would do is install the drivers under the administrator account. Make sure that you check in the device manager that the actual drivers were installed and then do a reboot.

I've noticed Vista really screws up when you do a run as or when you install something from an account other than Administrator. Do that step above and let us know what happens.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. ffreeloader

Noel,

Have you checked to see if MS has blacklisted those drivers? MS activated that "feature" of Vista a while back, so they can blacklist any driver they please, and it will no longer work in the system. Just one of the pleasures of dealing with MS.

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have very little experience of Vista, but in previous versions of Windows the generic drivers were all you needed for DVDs and CDs.

Has this changed?

Was this a complete install (i.e onto an empty drive or partition) or an overwrite?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

It was a complete install...HDD formatted and everything...i cant run it under admin as I dont have drivers on a CD for them...and how exactly does one check that they have been blacklisted? and why would MS even do that? sodding twerps...

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Doing a google for this suggests that this is just the Vista equivalent of the standard XP problem where the Upper and Lower filters get corrupted.

These only get inserted when you install something like burning software.

The usual fix is to delete the entries and reboot, but there have been cases where other software re-inserts them after boot!

First thing to eliminate this is to check what, if anything, is supplying these filters and ID them.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried a system restore to a point in time when the hardware devices were working?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Hmm you might be onto something there...I am using Nero 8...and didnt remove that before putting the drives in...so I think I shall try removing Nero and see where that gets me...but that sounds like a plan...

Sparky...erm...system restore...lol...enough said..:biggrin

14. ffreeloader

I don't know where you would check for blacklisted drivers, but MS says this is a security feature for Vista. If someone, somewhere in world, compromises a driver, MS will disable that driver world wide, so all the functionality that the driver provided will simply simply be gone for all Vista users without warning.

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

prompting u to do a full re-install which would be the only way to overcome that...which is exactly what I just did...but I dont care its working now...:biggrin thanks for you all input guys

16. ffreeloader

Well, actually no, at least not in most cases. MS would leave those drivers blacklisted until any vulnerabilities had been fixed. A reformat and reinstall would not fix the issue unless MS had removed the driver from blacklist before you reinstalled it/them as the Vista kernel simply wouldn't load the drivers again after Vista had called home and checked the list.

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I see...but Vista would only call home if I tell it to...and since i have auto update completely turned off...I shouldnt have to worry now...

Thank you though Freddy...certainly makes one aware now...

18. ffreeloader

Ummm.... This is not a WU issue as far as I know. It is separate, and is done separately. Vista phones home all the time, and this is just one of the things it phones home about. Shutting down WU does not stop Vista from phoning home.

19. ffreeloader

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Microsoft doesn't include driver support... hardware vendors provide driver support.

That said... hardware vendors don't all have drivers for Vista... which is the reason why you can buy laptops and desktops with XP... at least until January.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!