Driver question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Guys,

XP machine randomly locks up. Doesn't always cause any logs in event viewer. Ran sigverif and it found 2 drivers that weren't signed.
    I am convinced it is down to a piece of hardware which I am trialing to see if it is the culprit. :dry
    My question is with the device unpluged (USB) would the driver that is installed cause the system to hang? If the hardware was on it would be accessing the driver to communicate with the OS. I hope someone understands my poor explanation :oops:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I not sure m8 but I thought drivers were only loaded if the device was actually installed. If it is USB and not connected then I think that the driver won't be loaded.

I am guessing here, so I am quite prepared for the other to slam me down. :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Check if the system stabilises when in Safe Mode. That will certainly help to point up a driver issue.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Boyce I have an old USB network interface and it blue screens XP every now and again but when I stop the device and remove it the OS becomes stable again. From this I deduce the USB drivers are indeed unloaded when the thing is unplugged.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I've never been able to know for sure in Windows if drivers are loaded or not. In Linux however, it's possible. If I disconnect my usb printer, restart hotplug, and check the modules it loads(in Linux drivers are kernel modules), the usblp module isn't loaded into the kernel on the restart. When I plug the printer back in and restart hotplug the module is then loaded.

I know this is Linux and not Windows, but why would either system load drivers that are loaded dynamically when they are not being called, especailly at startup? As a computer basically searches itself for hardware at each boot why would it load a driver for hardware that it can't see? Doesn't make sense to me that it would.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1