DR WHO Xmass special was.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by supernova, Dec 25, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

PANTS!

........ the only thing i was looking forward to watching and it was a load of cr*p

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I ejoyed it, I thought it was hyped up way too much, and the cyberking was defeated way too easily, but other than that an interesting episode.

I like the nu-cybermen, but they do look too weak and easily beaten, and yesterday was another example of that, but still, in a way it was good to not have a soppy xmas special this year.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

to be honest while it was good, i don't think it was anything special. Yes it was hyped too much, but it seemed over too quickly, and the idea of having someone who thought they were the doctor but not, just wasnt that good.

But then i think that ws the way of xmas specials this year. Pushed with publicity but lacking in content when shown. Take Wallace and Gromits special. It was Hyped by the bbc like Dr Who, and yet it was short an felt rushed at the end, not what you've come to expect from such shows!
    Tv just didnt have that xmas fell that i was used to as a kid, no Bond movie, no war films and not many feel good traditional xmas filsm (i dont count showing teh santa clause 1&2 as thier just pure rubbish!!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I don't really watch Dr Who as a sci-fi (which is wierd) but I didn't rate it very high.

5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd give it a 6/10.

Gawd knows why they called Dervla Kirwan the Cyberking... or why they called it The Next Doctor. It must purely be because RTD wanted people to expect to see something more than what was shown. My little fella was completely bemused... he kept asking when the Cyberking was actually going to appear. Just 'plonking' a couple of bits of metal round her head and giving her black contact lenses for eyes was naff as naff could be.

All the talk of David Morrissey being the next doctor when Tennant goes... just a 'put up' job by RTD.

Personally, I am glad he is going... going... almost gone. I just wish Mark Gatiss was taking over the reigns. On that note, did anyone catch the Crooked House episodes? Now, that was great TV!

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Bring back Tom Baker.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

bring back william hartnell!

I quite enjoyed it, the giant cyberman was a good idea but as you say I think it was too many ideas in too shorter time. Still dont knock it as next year is going to be a bit of a doctor who desert.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. GiddyG

An excellent doctor! The best ever; however, I think DT has done a fine job... it's the writing that drags it down, as it did towards the end when it went off our screens in the 80s. :(

9. GiddyG

Very true Dale... thank gawd for DVD players! :D

My little fella got Robot for Christmas. In fact, he is just watching it downstairs...

Don't forget... Primeval should be back on our screens very soon... 8)

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

not bad.

Cybermen, always good.
    CyberShades? WTF? Monkey with a mask on.
    CyberKing? Why would Cybermen want to stride about the country in a giant coal-fired robot?
    In the past they have always hidden their numbers and converted people behind the scenes.

RTD deserves kudos for bringing back Dr Who, but he writes some terrible stories.
    Other writers on the series have done better.

'The Next Doctor' was just a cheap trick to make us think we were going to find out who is replacing DT.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. postman

postman Byte Poster

I personally liked it (it's been the best thing on TV over Christmas) but I think the big question is who will be the next one now?

WIP: A+
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I was under the impression that it was filmed months before DT announced he was leaving.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Whatever... :biggrin
    In that case they were trying to make you think he was leaving!

Now, what would have been more believable would be that in Dickensian London the Cybermen should have been like Jack the Ripper or something and taken the homeless etc and converted them into a massive underground army that they never got to use because the doctor polished off the 5 or 6 Cybermen that were around.

That would have been classic.

:borgsmile

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD