Download vSphere 5.1

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by craigie, Sep 11, 2012.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Great news vSphere 5.1 is now available for download.

To obtain a free trial, you will need to register with My VMware and then proceed to Download VMware vSphere 5.1 enjoy!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

downloading now. might as well make use of the works interwebs :)

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Downloading it all! just in case I need stuff when the 60day trail runs out! (happened last time when I forgot to download vCentre :()

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

10 minute mail does wonders for those forgotten downloads .

I've downloaded it to and will have a play with it tonight .

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Beerbaron

Got it installing on one of our spare servers at the moment. I might as well do something productive at work :biggrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Will it be any use after the 60 eval ?

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Reinstall FTW :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Beerbaron

A little annoying but good practice for installing and configuring. There are ways around it but you'll have to work that one out for yourself.

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Downloading as well... should be fun installing and playing around with it ;)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

One way is to get awarded the vExpert title and get a years worth of licenses for the VMware range of products.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Can I download and then update my current 5.0 esxi installation? Or will I have to wait for it to come through as an update for that to happen?

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  12. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

You can update ESXi 5 to ESXi5.1 from Disk/ISO no problems, done it myself last night. It gives you some upgrade options to choose from. :)

Of course you'll need to power down your VMs (or move to another server) before you can upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  13. Beerbaron

I have a host with a clean install of 5.0 and was just going to do a fresh install of 5.1. I didn't even consider/think about doing it via the update :oops:

14. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Interesting... What I also meant to ask, is will it maintain my license information currently applied to the hosts?
    Also do I need to boot the host from the 5.1 dvd, or can I get the iso, and apply it using update manager for example, or some other way of doing it through the host? Both my hosts are fairly up to date ESXi 5.0 with a VC, but would be interested in ways of updating :)

15. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

I'm downloading my 'trials' now...

Plan is (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) to update the VC first, as presumably if I update the hosts to 5.1, I won't be able to manage a 5.1 host through a 5.0 VC?

Once thats done I will update my hosts, I'll probably try one through update manager and one via a DVD / USB or whatever..

found some links which others may find useful,

Methods of updating to esxi 5.1:
    VMware KB: Methods of upgrading to ESXi 5.1

Updating esxi when booting from DVD (this is for 4.1 to 5.0 but presumably will be the same, ill give it a go)

How to Update VMware ESXi 4.1 to 5.0 - Easy Steps

Will update with my progress :biggrin

16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
    csx and jk2447 like this.
  17. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Will check out that vmware training course, there is probably some other good ones for me to look at on there...

Have got my vsphere environment all up to 5.1 now - web client looks nifty but can't see me changing to use that instead of the vsphere client (at least not in my lab anyway).
    Also, anyone noticed any poor graphics performance from existing VMs? I had a test XP VM and all my VMs have been fine, after this upgrade I noticed the graphics on this machine were noticeably worse, just a bit glitchy and almost "8-bit graphics" in places... I have just updated it to the latest VMWare tools, also checked the video card properties, I changed it to auto detect, as it was set to use 4mb total video memory. Seems a bit better now but just wonder if anyone else had noticed such things?
    Also others impressions in general of 5.1, any better / worse / no difference?

18. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

just a few more updates / observations etc of 5.1:

certainly noticing poor graphics performance on VMs which were fine previously, most noticeably so far on a windows 8 VM I just fired up.. hmm..

also, seems to be a few people having problems with updating existing 5.0 setups to 5.1. Mine went fine, but seem to be having issues with the vcenter & web services services taking ages to start, or just not start at all... in troubleshooting this I was attempting to configure the database to allow me to connect remotely via SSMS... seem to have broke everything in the process :eek: .... attempting to do a repair install and don't seem to have that option! so it was a remove / reinstall for all the bits & pieces - single sign on, vcenter, inventory service and update mangaer. Luckily I didnt remove any databases or anything so was able to get everything back up and running in a few hours, and can now connect to the database as well.
    Apparently there is some bug due to the length of the secret on the SSL certs (or something) which leads to problems like I had, here are some links if anyone comes across issues with their 5.1 setups... first one is "the fix"

VMware KB: vCenter Server Services hang on startup after upgrading to vCenter Server 5.1

VMware Communities: vCenter 5.1 Install fails to validate...

19. jayske48

jayske48 New Member

I just downloaded the trial.

VMwareKB on youtube has some short solid examples for operations I want to perform.

20. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Anyone had any success using the VMWare Client 5.0 or above with Windows 8? You get a connection issue when trying to connect to any hosts. VMWare Workstation 8 or above allows you to connect to hosts on Windows 8.

Apparently it is an issue with the Internet Explorer 10 Plugin...

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+