DotNet, dll & runtime issues...Fritz 8...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Avocado505, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Avocado505

Avocado505 Bit Poster

Can anyone help? I've read extensively (within limitations of my knowledge) on MS pages and related regarding the functions of .Net Famework. I run XPSP2 & started having some problems after installing "Fritz 8 championship edition" chess program. Errors occurred after a dodgy exit of the program whereby WMP9 became jerky when playing back "chess media", my framerate dropped drastically on the 3d board, and I had a "missing mscoree.dll" error in windows which seemed related to the runtime environment. Also my installations from the web (eg updating sun systems java) were problematic (errors with the windows or .net installer (?)).
    Eventually it seemed to me that the thing to do was to install the .net framework v1.1...(even autoupdate from windows was recommendeing it too). This has indeed resolved the installer error re. sun java and the unlocatable mscoree.dll etc. However I do realise that there's a lot more to the .net framework than I can fully comprehend with my limited knowledge (not a programmer/developer).
    Are there any reasons NOT to have this on my system? Does Fritz 8 require it (chessbase chess server functions)? If I uninstall it will the windows components "repaired"/replaced by installing it revert to being damaged /missing or will some of these changes (eg mscoree.dll) be retained? Should I just install the sp1 update for .net framework and forget about it? I deleted the asp.net limited user account generated by installing .net as I have no use for it and felt it might have compromised security.
    What do you think guys?? :eek:

Certifications: no IT certs yet...
    WIP: maybe A+ / MCSE ?
  2. Stu_C

Stu_C Byte Poster

looking at the Fritz 8 website it doesnt mention anywhere that it was built using .Net so i dont think having .Net is a requirement.

Is .Net usefull ?

You will probably find that newer applications are starting to be built using this framework so it would be quite handy to have this installed and i cant think of any reasons not to have it installed. Deleting the account it makes shouldnt make any difference if you have no use for it.

Stu_C

Certifications: Bsc(Bronze Swimming Certificate)
    WIP: C# MCP, MCAD
  3. Avocado505

Avocado505 Bit Poster

Thanks for that...The only reason I was hesitating re the update is that at the moment I still have the option to uninstall the .net framework but apparently the update for it cannot be uninstalled...But seeing as it includes security issues I gotta put it on if not uninstalling framework. :eek: And you seem to be saying no compatability issues with having this on system etc ? So I may as well jus go for it with the update. Cheers m8. 8)

Certifications: no IT certs yet...
    WIP: maybe A+ / MCSE ?