Dorset Certification and course

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Ferchile, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

Hi there am an it worker currently looking for a place to prepare myself for the ccna exam, 2 years ago i bought some books that became obsolete after the latest update for the exam, i dont wanna spend money or material at home, i just want a place where i can be prepared close to bournemouth with a nice price and the right tools, the funny thing is most of the collegues and universities in the area are talking about semestres this is insane due the type of material required to study, i want to get over on a shorter time.
    What are my options?
    Thanks to everyone to have this great forum so people like me can get some orientation.

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Whats sort of cost are you willing to shell out ?

I'm in Dorset too so may be interested also.

I know Bournemouth & Poole College do a course, but, as you say, it's spread over a year.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

Dont really know about cost, there are some camps for 400 to 999, money is always an important thing to have in mind but in this place there is no where to study am not thinking about wasting a year preparing such small exam, i need guidance ofcourse but a year is out of my sight.

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

You could try Deverill in Poole.

They list Cisco but haven't got course details on their site - you'd need to contact them.

http://www.deverill.co.uk/training/technical_training.aspx

Perhaps post anything you find out if you do ?

In the meantime, I'll keep looking and let you know of anything I find

5. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

I already did the request a long time ago, no answer it all.
    But seems that the website had change since that time so i will give it another try.
    Any way let me know if you have any other ideas reffered to this need, on the last 3 years i have been stuck working on a company who clames to have development plans and since i got here there is nothing.
    Am not ussually the type of persona that complains and waits for everything on their hands but am actually specting to have a feedback to my requirements and to improve my salary, this is my last resource i want to do it right and ontime.
    Thanks again and hope that i approve this exam the first time.

6. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

The other option that i want to take is study a book camp but that will provide me with the exam on the price close to the area.

7. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

I also want to know the best way to get over the certification "BOOKS AND EXTRA MATERIAL IN ORDER TO PASS"

8. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

I received the email today, i already ask them for more info related to the ccna.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Answer given:

Thankyou for your email.

Deverill are a Prometric test centre, which will allow you to take examinations at our Poole office. The examinations are booked through Prometric directly. They have access to our schedule and you can find further information on this at http://www.prometric.com/default.htm Our test centre is open Monday to Friday 10:00am to 4:00pm.

With regards to CISCO training, there are many courses available. Have you completed any CISCO training previously? Are you looking at gaining your CCNA qualification? I have listed below some of the courses available:

Cisco CCNA Certification Fast Track Programme
    Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security
    Implementing Cisco Unified Wireless Networking Essentials
    Implementing Cisco IOS Unified Communications

Topic areas include:
    Network Routing & Switching
    Communication
    Wireless
    Security
    Network & Operation Management
    Network Storage
    Cisco Advanced Services

If you are able to let me know what training you are looking to gain, I will then be able to provide you with costs and available dates.

Kind Regards

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Aha ! At least you got a reply.

Are you going to follow up on any of it ?

10. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

I need to know the prices and also their real flexibility.
    I got an email from seek offering a 1299£ complete online course, but no lab, just simulators.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest in the Networking Certification program SEEK Learning are offering in conjunction with our recruitment partners. We are discounting these courses now until 28th August to help meet increased employer demand for highly skilled professionals. In an ever changing market a recent survey said* "Certificates or vendor product accreditations are rated highly in the influence stakes, with 55% of respondents considering them to be of high or very high influence – especially when they are relevant to a candidate's job and skill base" when recruiting staff within there business. This has also helped individuals with job security and increased salary.
    About SEEK Learning Training
    The training is developed by Skillsoft, the world’s largest eLearning company with over 4.5 million students in 65 countries. Courses are co-developed with Microsoft, Sun and the other Vendors. The training is used by over 500 major organisations throughout Australia, and over 2500 organisations in the United States. The training is based around a skills development approach delivering "hands on" interactive practical assignments and scenarios giving you experience implementing everything you learn. This enables you to train in real life situations and practice important skill sets over and over. The training is accessible to you for 2 years so even once you are certified you are able to continuously refer back to your training in order to further develop your skills and knowledge and maintain them at a high level.
    CLICK HERE to take the SKILLPORT TOUR (sound required)
    MENTORING
    The mentoring team are available online 24 hours a day and provide an instant response for any assistance that is required, they are your personal teachers. They will assist you with not only questions and answers you have on the theory component, but will work with you on the practical simulations, and work through the exam preparation to ensure certification for you. The testing facility for exam preparation means you can go over the exam theory by yourself and with your mentors as many times as you need before going to the testing facility.
    CLICK HERE for more information on MENTORING
    TESTING
    Practice Exams map 100% to the real exams and provide the opportunity to test knowledge in a simulated, certification-testing environment.
    CLICK HERE for more information on TEST PREP
    BOOKS 24/7
    You have access to the IT Books 24/7 library. Books24x7 offers access to over 5,000 IT Books from publishers such as Sybex, Microsoft Press, New Riders and many more available through a searchable platform. All books are constantly updated for the duration of your subscription so you'll always be up to date.
    CLICK HERE for more information on BOOKS 24x7
    e-Learning tour (sound required):
    The training comes with full hands on, 24x7 mentoring and guaranteed certification*.
    Money Back Certification Guarantee - Get certified or get your money back*:
    Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) 640-802
    The CCNA certification demonstrates your fundamental level knowledge of networking. As a CCNA certified professional, you can install, configure and operate local area networks, wide area networks and dial access services for small networks. You will also gain knowledge on the use of protocols such as IP, IGRP, Serial, Frame Relay, IP RIP, VLANs, RIP, Ethernet and Access Lists.
    CCNA is the first certification in Cisco's Network Support certification track and the first step towards more advanced Cisco certifications.
    Enrollment Fee
    CCNA £1295
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Am thinking, god gived me a nice amount of brain and the help of everybody as support, i believe i can do it so i will buy some books and get on , i already have a degree and done soo much stuff that this will be a small rock in my shoes compare to the rest, nevertheless i want to know how to build the ultima book reference in order to study and get it done in about 2 months from now!!!

11. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

http://www.e-careers.co.uk/catalog/cisco/ccna.html

I started to hate this crap, sorry for the language but where is the point of allowing this people sell out something with bad quality pictures and no proof of their real services.
    I need a real advise from someone capable of understanding the delicate situation.

12. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

Best solution to the moment might be seek, but i also want some equipment to try at home, witch routers should i look for and how much should be the cheappest solution?
    ANYONE?

13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I'm sure if you do a search of the forums you'll find various recommendations as to kit required for CCNA. Also if you do a search on Ebay for "ccna lab" you'll find various bundles ready to go :)

14. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

The situation really is quite simple :

1) enrol on a course at local college - you've indicated you don't want to do this due to the time involved

2) self study - down to you then to do the work and ask questions here or on other forums if you get stuck

3) put your hand in your pockets and pay for a course - expensive and you may not find one locally if you're looking for a classroom situation. If you're looking at online then perhaps option 2 is just as good (and cheaper !)

Everyone here will always try to help you as much as possible but if you really want access to a tutor you can ask questions of then it is going to get costly.

15. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

Yeah i strongly agree, actually whent for seek not only for the 10% less but for the guarantee in case i dont success, most of the courses are not official materials but bundle packages got from a funny website or just updated, i will ask for help around here.
    Thanks for the answers.

16. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

What was the cost with Seek ?

17. Ferchile

Ferchile Bit Poster

1160 £

18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Yes - Deverill are good, but there is an alterantive and that's Best Training in Lower parkstone, opposite the central pub!:biggrin

The following link is taken from VUE website and shows Best Training do Cisco exams:-
    Best Training

I must admit I haven't had any experience with them, I took my exams and training through Deverills and My Network+ exam (which is looming) I have also booked at Deverills!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Oh nut's I'm too late:(

I was going to say, have you done some research on the Training provider or even looked at what Certguard says about them?:blink

Or even read Training Co's to watch out for by UKDarkstar?

Oh well, good luck with your studies:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  20. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

You sure they do Cisco ?

Nothing about it on their webby and it's never been mentioned when I've asked them about mcse and other courses