Dont you hate it......

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by supernova, Jan 9, 2010.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

When you have used two or three study books, looked at all the references, read a exam cram and still you find something that isn't covered when doing a measure up practise exam :( . Also it one of those things that you'll probably never need to know, nor have never needing in your experience of a products life cycle.

Makes it difficult for me to judge when i am ready to take an exam, as i am not a good decision maker

sorry little moan :twisted:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That’s just the way things go mate. Not the end of the world. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

The bright side is at least you find these things out on the practice exam rather than on the actual one... Proof that it pays to invest in a variety of study materials.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  4. supernova

Problem is it makes it difficult to draw a line!

Because i start thinking well what else have i missed?

Especially when i have read the most details books out there and there references. Aswell as two study guides.

bite the bullet i guess

(i have had this problem with every exam i have taken and passed )

5. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Good point! I guess you just need to be wary of exams where this does not happen then... :biggrin

I have found this as well - the books I get have bits that are not in one another, the CBTs have further points that are not in the books, the audio lectures have points that are not in the books or the CBTs and the practice exams have questions on material that is not in any of the aforementioned study material. I sometimes have to do a double-take to see if they are all for the same exam!

Add to that, when I go to take the exam, there are questions I don't recall being in any of the material used. But, I think that this is only the difference between a good pass and a perfect score.

I do not think that the few questions that catch you off-guard like this would be enough to push you below the pass line if you have a solid knowledge of the material, so bite the bullet I say.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Personally I have found the measureup question (especially the ones that come with the books) ok for a very rough idea of your readiness. Dont rely on them totally though as they do seem to be quite a few questions on each pack that I would consider to be out of scope or not relevant to the exam you are taking. It took me the whole of my MCSA to figure this out any other exams I take I will buy something else.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

I personally find this to be true when using the Microsoft stuff i.e e-learning. Loads of stuff which isn't in corresponding books within the assesments and tbf probably 80% not relevant when it comes to the exam or real world. What I find more infuriating though is there might be 10 ways to do something 8 of which are used in the real world but none of which are allowed when doing sims for exam.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  8. supernova

Thanks, yeah i agree with you all

And to boot the measure up exams are full of errors

heres a few i came across fairly recently...

Apparently the Modify NTFS permission doesn't allow you to delete.

Apparently you cant create a shortcut in IE (right mouse on page create shortcut) without going via favourites.
    it actually states answer question without unnecessary steps.

pants! :twisted:

Transcender are much better in my view, however, i still like to go through the measure up questions