Don't tell porkies on your CV!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Bri1981, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Interesting read...
    http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004713.html

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Quite.
    Exaggerating your importance in a project you were on a bit is one thing, saying you've got qualifications that you don't is another.

It's so easy to prove the latter that I don't know why people bother.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. AndreK

AndreK Bit Poster

Today's job market is very frustrating, I look at several job adverts which require certain skills, I have all these skills but I dont have the real-world experience to match it, am very tempted to "bend the truth" on my cv as I know that I could more than answer any potential questions. My question is, how bad would it look, having answered all the technical questions e.t.c at the interview stage only to be found out about the experience?

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I agree

a CV is a piece of marketing material for your personal brand

your not supposed to blatantly lie on adverts either, but you can warp/tailor it so that it portrays you in the best possible light

this is why we often tailor resumes/cvs for the roles at hands

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Depends what it is they're asking for.

If they say they want someone with a MCDST and that's what you've got, then all well and good.

If, however, they ask for someone with at least 3 years administering Exchange, and you've only got two years you can still apply - just be honest about it.

They may not get any applications from people with over three years experience or you may have other skills and experience that is of value to them and encourages them to overlook your shortfall.

It doesn't always work though. Some places will ruthlessly sift CVs by their exact requirements, especially if they've got a lot of them.

What you shouldn't do is say you have three years experience when you don't, because it's too easy to get found out.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Honesty is the best policy as if you lie you'd be found out on the interview or when employed on the job. To be honest you don't want the latter:).

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I can't trust you to be honest with me about your experience, I can't trust you with the admin password. It'd be a deal-breaker.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!