Problem Don't remember seeing this one before!

Discussion in 'Software' started by robjg256, Sep 23, 2009.

1. robjg256

robjg256 New Member

Well Hello everyone out there ! My first posting on this site...:biggrin

Not only will my PC not boot. It doesn't seem to want to load the BIOS, and is going through a very strange cycle that I don't remember seeing before. :eek:

I turn it on, and it goes into a rhythm in which the HD LED flashes repeatedly, but slowly, and it sounds as if the whole system is starting up, getting ready to load the BIOS, but before it gets that far, it stops and goes back round the cycle again. The BIOS does not load, neither are there any bleep codes to check up.

I had just replaced the old heat sink/fan with much improved one as on of the fins broke off the old one, sending it out of balance slightly apart from anything else.

I have a floppy drive in it, and when this is connected to the power, you can hear a clicking sound coming from that drive at the same rhythm and rate as the HD LED is flashing and, going through that repeated speeding up and then re-cycling before it loads the BIOS, which appears to be what's happening.

Any ideas anyone, or am I being a bit dense and missing something obvious?!

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.
    Rob

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Disconnect all non essential hardware components (such as DVD drive, floppy drive) so you just have RAM, CPU, HD, Mobo and Graphics card. Try booting up again.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

try a CMOS reset if it doesn't work bench test the system as sparky said.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Are you sure your new HS/Fan is mounted and connected properly (Thermal paste applied etc)?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10