Don't panic over extra questions...

Discussion in 'A+' started by Baba O'Riley, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Just saw a message on my training provider's website confirming that A+ exams now include twenty unscored beta questions, bringing the total to 100. I'm guessing these are connected to the upcoming upgrade.

They didn't say if you get extra time or not, but I would assume you do.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

could you let me know the site as I'd like to track down this info and confirm it - it could be useful to my students... and I don't want to say anything without checking it out...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. Baba O'Riley

No can do Clyde as it requires a student account to access. I can post a screen shot. Mods, if this is in breach of forum rules, please accept my apologies and remove it.

Attached Files:

4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

cheers baba

I was trying to tie it down to an announcement or something. It does tie in with what a student said to me - he said he got a load of questions on how to handle people and also remote access etc that were'nt covered in the syllabus - looks like beta questions to me.. I reasssured him it was likely beta questions but the fact there were so many apparently was concerning me..

cheers for that

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I note that there have been two people here who have mentioned that they got about 100 questions recently. This seems to tie in with this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Baba O'Riley

Clyde, It might just be worth banging off an email to Comptia asking for confirmation.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Don’t know if this helps, but if you read the small print before taking the A+ exam it says there are unscored questions included for possible future revisions of the A+ exam.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

hi sparky, yes, thats usual, but 20 or so of them is not!

Baba, I'll do better than that, I'll get out admins to phone them! (if I can!)

9. Baba O'Riley

I'd still be interested to hear if you get extra time. It seems mightily unfair to be expected to answer twenty extra questions in the same time as everyone who only had eighty.

10. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I've asked the same question about extra time for the extra questions recently,waiting for a definitive reply on that one.

I'm a little confused here actually!These axtra questions,given that we presume are beta,seem to be based on criteria that is not on the 2003 objective training shedule.This being the case,how on earth can CompTIA beta questions that cannot effectively be answered correctly by the exam participants (I'm running on the line here folks...assuming an exam candidate has no more knowledge than that required by the 20003 objectives laid down by CompTIA) and how would the results from this beta be translated into points weighting for the upcoming new exam?

Or am I being fick? :dry

Certifications: A+ Network+
  11. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

If i remember correctly from my OS exam which had extra questions i believe my exam time was around 120minz-130minz.

So that was an extra 30-40 minutes.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - I don't think it unreasonable to read around the subject rather than limit yourself to just exactly what the objectives say. To limit yourself to what Meyers says is the exam, for example, is approaching the brain-dump idea of just knowing the answers to the questions.

And I think you'll find that the objectives are worded sufficiently loosely that thay can be applied to more recent practice.

And finaly - I wouldn't employ someone who had learnt about computers up to 2003 and then stopped - I'd want some more recent knowledge!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. Baba O'Riley

Just had confirmation that you don't get extra time for the 20 extra questions which I think is a bit rough.

14. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I agree that it's a bit unfair that you don't get extra time for the questions but surely the beta questions should stand out a bit? And if you've revised enough and read round the subject, it shouldn't be a problem. I completed both the A+ exams in just over 30 minutes for each exam and I even checked my answers twice. And I passed both before anyone asks LOL!!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  15. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

There have always been extra questions in the CompTIA Exams. But 20 questions does sound a bit steep. They must be giving extra time for those.

16. Baba O'Riley

Apparantley not mate.