Don't forget the photocopier

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Don't forget the photocopier

Organisations rely on a sophisticated network of computers and peripherals to create, manage, process, share and archive information. But regardless of its form, be it physical or digital, this information is vulnerable to a whole host of technological, physical and human threats unless it is protected by a secure IT infrastructure.

Bernard Cassidy, Ricoh UK & Ireland, takes a good look at the security issues around multifunctional devices.

For a security conscious organisation, points of weakness in the network are no longer acceptable and they need reassurances from manufacturers that adding devices to the infrastructure will not compromise information security.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      Ha that's a laugh.

I worked on Ricoh kit before Ricoh UK existed, from 1978 till 2001. I was right at the sharp edge of introducing networked MF devices throughout england and wales.

I can tell you that the vast majority of people pull their hair out just trying to get their copies out of the damn things without knowing where the print button is or what a flashing toner light means. The chances of anyone being able to intercept a print job between the spooler and the copier is so remote that it's hardly a bone of contention. yeah they have hard drives in them, so what.. i would be surprised if any user authenticated or not could get any useful information off them. You cant walk up to a copier and tell it to print out the payroll information for the department. thats not in the menus anywhere and not stored on the MFD hard drive. only thing stored on their would be useless templates.

To print out confidential data you would have to be logged in to a proper client, have authenticated (hopefully) with a DC and have access to the files on the network.

This is scare mongering and is no tangible threat in the real world.