Don't flame me please...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by 5cr3w8all, Jun 19, 2006.

1. 5cr3w8all

5cr3w8all Bit Poster

This may have been answered before but ,

What is a brain dump ?

We've just finished Semester 2 of the CCNA with Cisco Academy at college and one of the guys there said he uses brain dumps for revision and he does get consistently high marks , yet brags about how the study work is "easy".

I get 90+ on each weekly test but I have to study bloody hard, being a mature student has it's disadvantages.

He say's that he only needs to do a couple of hours a week study yet I'm doing about 10 to 12 hours per week studying then 1 full day a week in college being able to set up and configure the kit for real.

Is he cheating or am I stupid ?

Thanks

Certifications: none as yet.
    WIP: CCNA and MCSE
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

yes, he is cheating, and no, you're not stupid. not unless you join him and start using braindumps too.
    braindumps are actual questions from actual exams, meaning if you know the questions beforehand, you'll have an advantage at the exam (though not when you have to prove you are worth the cert).

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

d said it all. You doing the right thing.. stick to studying hard and you will end up being a proper CCNA! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Like 'd' says, it's cheating, the only people who use them are thicko's. He might get a high score now but wait until he is in the IT field. That's when the real test takes place! He will crash and burn and the employer who sees this will know it!
    While you will have a solid foundation of knowledge.

If you do get stuck then just ask the members here at CF!

Not really most employers take on Mature candidates because of their life skills.

Yes he's cheating and no your not stupid, just hard working, which will pay off in the long run!

Monkey :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Study the honest way mate. I know a guy who braindumped his way through an MCSE and doesnt even know you can boot from a Windows XP PC to use recovery console. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. 5cr3w8all

5cr3w8all Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies guys, I was a little concerned about taking the guy at college's advice.

I'll stick with doing it the hard way.

It's gonna get a little more intense come September because along with getting on with Semester 3 of the CCNA I'm starting down the MCSE route as well at college with this: Installing, Configuring and Administering Microsoft Windows XP
    (Exam 70-270)

Ah well....... back to the books

Thanks guys

Certifications: none as yet.
    WIP: CCNA and MCSE
  7. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

As is the way with certifications your commitment and willing to learn reflect your achievments and your knowledge.Braindumping your way through any cert might acheive a goal but lacks any sort of achievement,if that makes sense!

Certifications: A+ Network+
  8. missbizzylizzy

missbizzylizzy New Member

Don't feel bad. I didn't know what brain dumping was either until I checked out the FAQs last night. I went to college with a girl (many years ago) who sailed through by cheating on most of her exams. She might have had a degree at the end but she was dumber than a box of rocks!:biggrin My experience has been that while employers do look at qualifications, they also look for people with a bit of common sense and honesty. I would imagine that brain dumpers are neither of these. Just my two cents worth anyway.:biggrin Good luck to you!

Steph

9. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

can i get one thing clear. is using the transcender cd to see how much you know using brain dumps? id like to know this please

WIP: A+,mcp.mcdst,mcsa
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No, Transcender provides legit training software 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

thank you ma heart stopped 4 a min there! cuz i use transcender for my exams

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

So do I and a lot of other people on this forum taz, they have a very good reputation in the test preparation sector. Just make sure that you don't rely on them totally for your studies. They are meant to be used when you think you are ready to sit the exam. They will then highlight your weak areas and give references for further study. That's how they are supposed to be used.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

yeah thats right i am only testing myself on the first module of the A+ exam using the transcender cd so i know what parts to revise more on the questions i get wrong. what is the actual meaning of braindump could you explain to me please?

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A braindump is a collection of REAL questions stolen from the live exam. Using them is no different than stealing a professor's final exam from his or her desk and studying it.

The writers at BrainBeacon, Transcender, Self Test, Measure Up, and Boson all create their questions from scratch (unless something has changed at any of those companies!). The questions are unique - not copied from the live exam. However, they will test you on information you need to know to help you pass the exam. A good practice exam will also contain an explanation and references.

Watch out, though - braindumps also contain explanations (often copied directly from books) and references (usually the source from which they stole their explanation). Some braindump companies have even started distributing their exam questions (normally distributed within PDF files) within legitimate-looking testing engines!! So, be wary... and stick with well-known companies that you can trust.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

oh right didnt know that before guess you do learn something new everyday! i use transcender which is legit so i guess im ok and im only testing myself on the stuff that iv learnt and revised. thanks for the info

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

LOL ! Glad that was cleared up tas. Be assured the guy you just responded to should know - he wrote them (the good ones, I mean) !! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You are too kind, Gav. Thanks for the compliment. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!