Domain Trusts

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Slam, May 12, 2007.

1. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Good news on getting the trust to work after changing the DNS and adding a secondary zone.

More information on DNS...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254680

The Universal group issue you are having...is one of the domains in Windows 2000 mixed mode..possibly the Windows2000 domain??

EDIT - you should be able to add users to universal groups in one domain then add the universal group to a domain local group in the second domain...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  2. MartinZ

MartinZ New Member

I confirm you are likely to have a domain functionality level issue here.
    If any left, get rid of your NT4 domain controllers, raise the domain and forest functionality levels.

ok, sorry, I just realise I'm 2 months late...

Certifications: MCSE 2k3
    WIP: 70-299
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you can have members of other domains in a universal group. If we have DL's on our UK domain that need US members in it, we upgrade the DL to universal and it works fine.

http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=30901&seqNum=7&rl=1

If you are running a 2k DCs and a 2k3 DCs on the same domain, then you will be running in mixed mode, so in your setup, the universal groups wont work.

EDIT: in order to deal with this, you should be using a global/local combination. Create a GROUPA_L group (domain Local) on the required domain (depends on which domain the resource is on), and a GROUPA (global) group in each of the domains. you add the members to the global group in their domain, and then add all the global groups into the domain local group. you then use the local groups for applying permissions, etc.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present