Domain question

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Pete01, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

May seem like a silly question but are there any legal boundaries to the 'nature of business' regarding types of domains?

For example, is it illegal to set up a commercial website with a .org domain?

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

No.

Some restrictions come into play with new types of domain, eg the .eu release taking place at the moment. Because demand is so high initially for a new domain type, it's not so much first come, first served, than do you satisfy certain criteria for qualifying to register that domain name type ? In the case of the .eu's, if you have already got a trademark on a certain name, then you will have first choice on "that brand name".eu

That said, for the common types, there are few if any restrictions. See HERE for more information.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Pete, if you are talking about a companies internal domain, then I think the answer is no. But lets be honest, it would be stupid to name your internal domain (and I'm talking about the root domain, that's the first domain in the forest) something other than your company name or something similar and to use .com also internally caould be asking for trouble. Normally I would name internal domains with something like .local, something that doesn't translate outwards to the internet.

I hope that makes sence and that's only my opinion. I'm sure there are others who would do things differently 8)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the replies chaps, question answered. A friend of mine asked me to help with getting his domain name I checked and the name is available but the .com is gone- .net however is available.

Gonna go for it, yeehaw!!!

Hopefully someday soon it will warrant an internal network with a DNS namespace!! :twisted:

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging