Domain or Workgroup

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jul 4, 2008.

?

What do you use at home

1. Domain

21.3%
  2. Workgroup

61.7%
  3. Other

4.3%
  4. Domain and Workgroup

14.9%
  1. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Domain here running 6 pc's and an Exchange server, Action Pack subscription.

Bad for the environment? Well, all of my machines run 24/7/365. Yes, it may cost a few pennies more on the power bill, but my employer pays me well. :twisted:

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Meh, I don't need a domain at home. I considered it... I've got a server license... but I really don't have a need for one, especially since it's just me and my wife (the kids don't yet log in on their own). :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have a workgroup setup at home. My main pc runs server 2008 on which I'll set up several virtual machines. I'll then look at creating my own domain and joining the main pc to it. The only problem is logging on the main pc to the domain when it starts. I know its possible using vmware but I want to do it using hyper-v.

Me too but I don't care.:twisted:

Also, the question was if you use a domain or workgroup at home and why. No-one has to justify why they run what they run, so no more cheap shots. If you guys could put your boxing gloves back on I would appreciate it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Two workgroups (one for me, one for my housemate) and a domain in VMware for my lab. 8)

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Several hours to set up? WTF? a domain takes <10 mins to set up
    that includes AD authorized DHCP, and the all important DNS

It hasn't taken hours since NT4, as Zeb mentioned :)

and who cares if you can do it at work? who cares if you can even remote access your work lab like i could, the fact is i'm passionate about what I do, that means I do it at home too!

The guys I know who have entire enterprise class infrastructures at home are the very best techs I've ever met

Oh and for the record, all my sytems now ARE vms apart from the ISA server, so the only system that stays on 24/7 is the server with a 300w psu, the firewall which is an old p3 SFF with a 120w PSU

Bad for the environment? I could run those buggers off a $600 solar panel so probably not :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No time at work for testing, I’m far too busy installing networks and making ££££! :biggrin

My home domain helps to test new products as there are no interruptions from customers and I can break whatever I want as I’m not messing around on a live domain. Like Zeb I do think that the work I have done on my home domain has contributed to recent pay rise I got at work, happy days! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

I am all in favour of the google style system of allowing 20&#37; of your time to work on your own projects.

Domain? Who needs a domain when you can run Novell Netware over IPX/SPX.

NT Works better with the Internet:
    The native NT v4.0 protocol is TCP/IP, the language of the Internet. Netware v4 and before use IPX/SPX protocol, which is used by, well, Novell. Sounds like a point for NT, eh? Hardly. Do you really want your server to be accessible through the Internet? Think about the security issues! A Netware server running IPX can be placed directly on the internet without security concerns. The perfect firewall: A server which absolutely ignores all Internet traffic, without the configuration and maintenance issues of a firewall!

Virtually anyone who has really compared them considers Novell's Netware Directory Services (NDS) a vastly superior administrative model than NT's model. Microsoft's "Active Directory" is supposed to address that, but when you consider Novell will have a seven year lead on Microsoft, don't expect great results from "Active Directory"

Most of the Netware networks which are administrative disasters are such not because of the platform, but because the administrators made bad design decisions, and cobbled a "Quick Fix" to a problem which should have been addressed properly, and the "Quick Fix" became permanent. You can not blame the network operating system for improper management, and if anything, NT certainly encourages a "sloppy" system with minimal planning, and is typically being installed by people with virtually no real-world experience in business computer systems. The real solution for a system which is badly designed is to clean it up or redesign it, not to switch platforms.
    http://www.nickh.org/computer/nw-vs-nt.html

Sorry, Sorry that was a (bad) joke :)

I'm off to install Server 2008. Good luck with your Domains everybody!

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

OHMYGOD!! :ohmy :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Interesting...
    ...I expected more domain configurations at home, due to the known security and benefits.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What "known security and benefits" are those? Just curious... because my workgroup is just as secure as a domain would be... and I don't need the other "benefits" that a domain would provide. Not at home with two whole users, anyway.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

Currently I have connected two of my computers just on a workgroup, In the next month or so I will be setting up a domain.

Certifications: MCTS, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MSCD