Domain Names, email web hosting......Help?

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Gingerdave, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I've done a search and looked through some of the threads but I just thought I would check with people who have done this before to make sure I haven't grabbed the wrong end of the stick and ran with it.

I want to register a domain name or two one mainly for a more professional email address and the other to get decent emails for my family, so as I understand it I have to register a domain like gingerdavelives.com (can anyone recomend a good place to do this?) and then either pay for email hosting or use something like google labs.

Now I am sure I am missing something here, so any tips and advice would be welcome

Many thanks in advance

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

In use www.123reg.co.uk for my domain name.

Then Google apps for the email

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry... gingerdavelives.com is no longer available... :tune but I would be willing to sell it to you for $1495... :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

lol BM - evil! :D

Correct in what you've said Dave - i do the same currently. i register all my domains through fasthosts.co.uk, i've got about 12.

Currently my main one for mail has it's nameservers pointed to another webhost where i have email facilities setup. should really transfer it to FH to keep it all in the same place, but hey :D

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. Gingerdave

Ah-HA I thought you would try this BM:twisted: I approve.

AJ Thanks for the tip.

Apexes

Do you recomende anyone for the hosting?

CV related queston:

If I had got gingerdavelives (damn you BM!:cry:) if you got a CV through with [email protected] would you try going to the domain to see if there is a page associated?

Is it worth creating a landing page? do I need additional hosting to get this?

Sorry all very new to me....

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've use www.pickaweb.co.uk for domain registration and point the nameservers to the hosts where I have webspace or mail setup.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I would, i'm a nosey bastard when it comes to stuff like that and i like to know :D - but that may be just me.

Creating a basic landing page is simple if you need to, quick readup on HTML if you don't already know it can get a decent page offering basic information :)

Hosting is fairly cheap nowadays, and you can find a fair few decent providers. 123-reg offer basic webhosting for £2.49/month - and it is basic, but it'll do all you need - 1gb space 5gb data transfer, is plenty enough really for what you'll need Clicky clicky - they're pretty solid as a provider, i think they used to be part of the Pipex DSL group a while back.

If you go with a company for hosting, they'll normally always ask you through the signup process if you need to buy a domain with your hosting. Only if you decide to use two seperate company's to host your site/email - and another to host your domain, will you need to update the nameservers.

Personally i'd recommend fasthosts, but that's because i have several virtual servers and hosting and lots of domains with them, and i've never had any issues with them, they are slightly more expensive - but that isn't to say the others mentioned previously aren't as good. Fasthosts list

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Uh-oh... it looks like I celebrated too soon! :ohmy I accidentally registered gingerdavelives.info instead! What a rookie mistake! :oops: Now that I'm broke, you can easily register the .com yourself :bigcry (unless one of these other scavengers grab it first!).

:joker

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Gingerdave

Apexes and AJ

Thanks for the respones, Apexes I will definatly give them a look.

BM

Quick cancel it cancel it! I wasnt going to register that one - but I may yet....

10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

123 Reg is a really decent one. I use that for my 15 or so domains. Never had any issues, simple to use.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've used hostinguk and pickaweb.
    Both have some pretty tidy packages.

I tend to get the name and the hosting package through the same people to save on hassle.
    I think that hostinguk were doing a deal where you got the domain name free if you bought one of their hosting packages, so it's worth shopping around.

Try and go for someone who doesn't try to hide their real world location and actually publishes a phone number. It might be worth being cheeky and phoning the support line before buying and see how quick they answer and if you can understand them...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I recently registered a .info and a .co at godaddy.com for $4. I set one up with gmail apps for free & I'm paying godaddy to host the other.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  13. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  14. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Hmm, i'm always wary of free things like that.

Do they give you access to DNS control of the domain?

15. Gingerdave

Thanks guys, I am now the proud owner of the-ook.co.uk :D

I did the registration through 123reg, was really nice and easy. Looking at the package it had what I wanted which was domain name plus hosting for one page to act as a landing page incase people visit the webite after I email them so all in all very ahppy.

I'm just setting up the google apps now, they have asked me to make a TXT record into the domain which i have done but as yet google cant verify it, but being DNS it will likely not happen until tomorrow.

Grand cost of this endevour - £7 for 2 years which I thought was pretty good.

Again thanks to everyone for your comments and help.

16. Gingerdave

Ok quick question for people, maybe more aimed at the guys who deal with google apps or people who deal with DNS records.

Google has asked me to prove that I own my domain (fair enough) by adding in a txt record. the one they gave me looks like

googlesiteverification=cjktdyaidb7t73hbdzhbd782

now should I put everything to the left of the = as the name of the record and everything after to the right or should it all be on the right?

17. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

yes u just email them and they change it, i changed mine cos the templates they gve u are poo¬!
    Its for business's starting up really

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  18. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The TXT name needs to be empty and the TXT value should be the entire string google provided you.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sorry mate, but from what the chap posted it looks like the TXT file name needs to be googlesiteverification and the data in the TXT file itself needs to be cjktdyaidb7t73hbdzhbd782.

You can then test by running nslookup on the TXT file in the DNS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

This is how I do it and it works. I just went in to the DNS settings on a domain I use for goggle apps to verify.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA