Domain Logon

Discussion in 'Networks' started by amphtech, Apr 5, 2008.

1. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

I have a Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition all my workstations are running Win XP Pro
    It all logons succesfully but even if i turn the server off the computer still logs on just creates a
    tempary profile how can i get it so it cant logon when the server is unavalible? :P

WIP: MCSE, MCSA, MCP
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There is a group policy setting in the default domain group policy (I think) that needs to be enabled for that to happen. Basically a user cannot logon unless a DC can be contacted, no cached credentials are used.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This could cause you some serious headaches, especially with laptop users, if you have any :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

I had a fiddle around with number of previous logons to cache and set it to 0 now it wont logon if the server is down and i have 3 laptop workstations.

5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

The default number of cached logons is 10. As Sparky said, the setting for this is in group policy. You could probably have a GPO linked to a laptop OU and allow cached logons, a second GPO for desktops that would deny cached logons.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

thanks i was thinking of adding another server to my domain would you still be able to access your roaming profile if you had 2 servers in you domain and the main one was down?:rolleyes:

7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

If you cluster them, create a virtual disc resource and point the profile path at the virtual server, the profile will always be available no matter which of the two servers is down (unless they both go down then you wont get anything).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

or how about setting up a DFS, then no matter where things reak or how many servers you have you will always have your filesystem

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em