domain groups problem in lab (70-290 kit)

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by RichGK, Jan 25, 2008.

1. RichGK

RichGK Bit Poster

I have setup Server01 as the domain controller, and have successfully logged onto Server02 using an account I have created in AD (user01). So I can log onto the domain OK from a non domain controller PC which is the first step.

Now I want to make user01 an administrator of Server02 and have created a global group named Global Administrators in AD (and added user01 to it) for this purpose.

Now I need to add "Global Administrators" to the local Administrator account on Server02 to complete the process.

Unfortunately Server02 cannot see any users or groups from the Domain, only the local ones.

Does anyone know where I might have gone wrong?

Ta!

Update.

I just took Server02 out of the domain and then re-added it and now I can see CONTOSO\Domain Admins which is one of the the default domain groups (automatically added presumably), it's certainly using the groups properly as I can log onto Server02 with the user01 account and I get administrator privileges I as my logon is a member of CONTOSO\Domain Admins). However, I still cannot actually search or look for any domain users or groups from Server02!

i.e. If I try to manually add CONTOSO\Domain Admins it says that the domain cannot be found!

Certifications: Dip Comp (Open)
    WIP: MCITP
  2. RichGK

RichGK Bit Poster

Ok figured it out :)

I had not pointed DNS on Server02 to Server01, it was pointing to my Modem/Router :oops:

Certifications: Dip Comp (Open)
    WIP: MCITP