Domain controllers - Local user database

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by beaumontdvd, Feb 8, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone just a quick question. If theres say two domain controllers and each obviously have their own replicated copy of the AD why do they not maintain a local user database? Is it because there is only one local user database needed which is on one of the domain controllers?

is the local user database credentials such as username / password?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For security....

There is a directory services restore mode password that is kinda like a local admin password so you can log on and restore AD etc.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. beaumontdvd

Oh right, but where is it situated at? Would it just be one domain controller?

Thanks,
    Dave

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I don't understand the question, but I will try and explain as to what I think the quesiton is.

On Domain Controllers you don't have Local Administrators, if you are part of the Administrators Security Group then you are a Local Administrator on the Domain Controller.

If you are talking about Replication, then that's a bit difference. Replication is what propogates changes to the Active Directory Forest e.g. change a password on Domain Controller 1 and then the user goes to login to a Terminal Server in Japan, he (yes my imaginery user is a man) will be using the new password.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Each DC has a SAM, which is not used when the DC is running as intended (i.e. normal boot, directory services running and servicing clients).

The SAM is used when you go to directory services restore mode (i.e. safe mode style). If you depromo the DC, the SAM is used once more. It's always there and local to just that DC for use in specific situations.

Next time you wanna play with a server prior to promoing it, make a bunch of local accounts. Login to the machine with those accounts. Promo the DC and take a look around, you'll find remnants of those accounts on the machine. When you depromo the DC, those accounts will be there again for use at your own discretion. They won't be used for anything else when the DC is running as a DC.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Sparky

Looks like Shinigami has explained this much better than what I could do. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. beaumontdvd

Thanks, does sam stand for security access management? Also just one more quick question. Does a member server act like a stand alone server in a workgroup environment for a domain?

Thanks!

Dave

8. Sparky

Errr, not 100% sure what you mean here.

If you add a member server to the domain you can log onto the server with domain credentials and also have local accounts as well if you want. This assumes that everything is default though.

9. beaumontdvd

Sorry mate, I mean that in a workgroup a computer running server 03 ect is called a stand alone server so in a domain is a member server like that? But provides file sharing ect?

Thanks for everyones help,
    Dave

10. Sparky

Yup, a member server could be a file server, web server or have an additional application such as Exchange Server.

11. beaumontdvd

Thanks mate that makes sense! Really appreciate the help :)

Repped! :biggrin