Doing Network + A+ help needed

Discussion in 'Network+' started by magnex 123456, Jun 21, 2010.

1. magnex 123456

magnex 123456 New Member

Hi Guys,

First of all I wanted to say HI and thanks to all the people that have posted useful information.:blink

I'm based in London and I'm looking to do a+ / Network + (I have a year to complete them)

There seems to be dozens of colleges offering the certificate, however I have heard LOTS of horror stories (bankruptcy, crap teaching standards .. the list goes on) :eek::eek:

I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice or information on schools they would personally recommend (and OR avoid?)

(I have already called a few, unfortunately they have NOT filled me with confidence)

Thanks in advanaced

Peter

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I cant perrsonally recommend any as I self studied. That is I got the books studied and practiced the concepts then took the exams.

If you are the sort of person that really needs tuition then I would say look at colleges not a training provider that purports to be a college but an actual further education college.

I self studied mainly for one reason which was the cost. You can do the A+,network+ and MCDST thats 5 exams plus buy the books for the cost that some places just charge for the A+ and some courses do not include the price of the exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There are probably some good training providers out there. But why spend the money when there are a plethora of self-study options available? Books, CBT videos, practice exams... and if you need "instructor-level" help, that's what this forum is for. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You could try West Thames College if you live near it.

http://www.west-thames.ac.uk/en/courses/subject/Computing-and-ICT/courses.cfm/cid/245
    http://www.west-thames.ac.uk/en/courses/subject/Computing-and-ICT/courses.cfm/cid/511

London's a pretty big place and I expect you will want somewhere local, it would be better if you provided more info.

If you have to travel across london you'd be better off with self study I expect.

Look for local colleges that are properly run, there is quite a few dodgy colleges in london that aren't pucker and award fake degrees etc so be careful.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

don't do any courses, buy yourself books of Mike Meyers All in one (make sure you buy last version) and learn on your own, make sure you finish by the end of the year and you'll have certificates valid for life

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7